Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Frostie
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you apply for a job and don't hear back in a week or two, is it acceptable to call or send a follow up email to the company? Or should I just assume they don't want to interview me and move on?

I've heard different opinions on this and some people say you should absolutely do a follow up email or phone call and others say its annoying and burdensome for the hiring people. I don't want to come off as overly aggressive and annoying, but my current strategy of just sending out loads of resumes and cover letters hasn't even gotten me a single interview in the five months I've been looking for a job. I don't see how it could hurt anything. An email would probably be less burdensome for them and less anxiety-provoking for me than a phone call.

· Registered
279 Posts
Definitely follow up. I wouldn't have gotten my last job if I hadn't followed up, and the job that I'm currently in the process of getting I still would be simply waiting at home hoping someone would review my application if I hadn't followed up. The worst that can happen is they'll say they don't want to hire you but technically they can do that if you don't follow up. I mean I wouldn't send like 10 emails to the same place b/c that would be annoying but just one won't bother them IMO.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Yes, I think that it's important to call back a few days later and ask them if they have had a chance to look through the applicants and let them know that you are still interested in the position. This is mandatory for a professional job.

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Most jobs I apply for online don't give a phone number. Sometimes it even says "NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!" lol.

On a major job site, if a job and the pay is good, I'm sure they can easily receive dozens or maybe even hundreds of resumes a day. That could potentially add up to a lot of phone calls.

I applied for a job not long ago that was only posted online for 12 hours before it was taken down. I heard they received over 400 resumes.

With my SA, I wouldn't call anyway though...much too anxious.

· Registered
146,606 Posts
Yep - follow up by phone if possible. Email as a second resort. A lot of the time, your résumé may end up in a list of others. Contacting them for a follow-up, being courteous, allows them to realize that you are really considering the job they are advertising.

Keep in mind, in this job market, they can really do a number on the requirements for the position. For those of us who have kept our jobs, we are doing more work for the same pay - covering for those who are laid off.

· "Individual lil ditty"
49 Posts
I was actually hired f0r a p0siti0n 0nce because I went in pers0n t0 f0llow up and g0t an interview 0n the sp0t. Yeah a ph0ne call 0r e-mail w0uld suffice, but if the situati0n all0ws a m0re pers0nal f0ll0w up c0uld be better than n0ne at all.

As far as b0thering g0es, if they are seeking t0 hire as y0u are seeking the p0siti0n it 0nly sh0ws how seri0us you are!

· Registered
1,198 Posts
I called to follow-up on the last job I had. I don't usually follow-up, but on that particular day I was pumped because I had went in and asked for an application somewhere else. I was still riding on the adrenaline high from that interaction, and thought, "Hey, I'll call this other place I applied at and see if they've looked at my application yet."

When I called they talked to me for a while, later they called me back for an interview, and in the end I got the job. I ended up hating the job, but that's not the point. I got the job. Follow-ups are good.

· Registered
444 Posts
I was actually hired f0r a p0siti0n 0nce because I went in pers0n t0 f0llow up and g0t an interview 0n the sp0t. Yeah a ph0ne call 0r e-mail w0uld suffice, but if the situati0n all0ws a m0re pers0nal f0ll0w up c0uld be better than n0ne at all.

As far as b0thering g0es, if they are seeking t0 hire as y0u are seeking the p0siti0n it 0nly sh0ws how seri0us you are!
This is COMPLETELY off topic but is your o button broken? :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.