Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious what others think about this. what do you think love is? i think i always fail to love because i haven't been taught how to love. i blame SA.:no

·
Registered
290 Posts
sometimes when i feel good about myself i can love others but other times my love is selfish and is mostly about reassurance from the other person, i'm working on it...
love is hard to define, but i think it's genuinely liking the other person and taking care of his happiness the way you would for yourself (if you loved yourself hehe).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know I am capable of loving because I can feel it, but I fail at expressing it the right way. I think it hinders the amount of love to enter a persons life. For me personally, I need to ease into a relationship instead of diving right in. I see so many people trying to rush love, which might be ok for some people, but for me it's a pretty slow process. But yeah, I believe anyone with SA can find love. It just takes time.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
They say that you can't love another person if you can't love yourself and i believe that is true. This means i'll never find someone to love.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You definately can love if you have SA. I've been in several close relationships in my life even though I was suffering from depression and SA etc but the key thing is how consistent you can be in the relationship and how much your partner loves you in return and will be there to support you through your down times.

That said, I have been burnt and haven't been in a relationship for about 2 years but that's mainly due to where I am in life and this feeling of low self worth which obviously doesn't bode well in terms of vibes toward the opposite sex.

As goldengray said, you definately can be in love with SA.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't know if I want to love again, my last relationship ended with me getting heart broken, and that is the worse pain imaginable, i dont think i could go through that again.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Yes. Even when my SA was at its worst, I still loved my family :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's possible. I'm way more caring, loving and protective towards my fiance than I ever thought I could be about anyone. But at the same time I have to be careful to keep some of that love for myself, I have to constantly remind myself to watch out for myself, too.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Forgive my cussing....

#3|| yeah!

·
Banned
347 Posts
how can you be taught how to love, if you're a human being then you have that capacity, if you think you can't then it is a lie placed in your mind. Be real with yourself and expose those irrational thoughts, that is the first step to recovery

owned

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in love and I have SA.
It will take a little while for us to sort some things out... at times, he may feel that I'm "bat sh*t" crazy.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Oh yes, very deeply! Aside from my family, it's finding someone who's worthy of my love that's the problem.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I think the only way SA could keep you from loving someone is if you let it discourage you from getting to know someone else. I have had very severe SA but I've been in love with the same girl for a couple of years now. Why? Because I've gotten to know her. Although things were rough in the beginning (when I just had a crush on her), over time I've been able to open up and let her in. You can love. You can fall in love. It's just not going to be automatic.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I really can't, it remains an almost alien idea to me. However, that has more to do with me naturally being a cold, emotionally callous human being than it does with my anxiety.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts