Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty straightforward.

Do you feel one day you may enjoy the company of others with more ease? Do you do therapy, take medication, meditate,take risks, soothe yourself, try to feel better, etc?

Or do you just try to manage your daily life as best you can?

Neither is better; I've experienced both. At the moment I'm feeling way more hopeful that I'll be able to get it together, feel good and live a satisfying life. I hope with all the little exercises I do that I'll continue to feel better. Only time Will tell however. For many years I felt hopeless and this is a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I feel like i'm gonna be stuck in this life forever. I can learn to be happy with the very little i do have, and learn to live with less, but i can do nothing to change the actual situation.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like i'm gonna be stuck in this life forever. I can learn to be happy with the very little i do have, and learn to live with less, but i can do nothing to change the actual situation.
It's odd cause I felt exactly that way for so long. Lately I've really started questioning all my thoughts such as I'll never get out of this, people won't like me, I'm a loser, can't get a job, can't support myself, etc. Literally questioning every single thing I think. Not just taking them as truth. It's really hard but I'm finally starting to feel like I've been lying to myself my entire life and maybe there is more. Maybe I've been way too hard on myself. Idk if it'll be long term but I'm feeling a bit better.

I hope you feel a bit better Hon. Kisses. You're definitely not alone in feeling that way.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I'm pretty much just trying to manage my daily life as best I can. I haven't given up on everything, but need to reassess my goals. I haven't had much luck in making friends or socializing, and don't really have opportunities to do so anyway, so instead I'd like to find ways to be content being who I am, anxiety or no anxiety. I think this would have to be an important part of life whether I was socializing or not, since one can't always rely on the feedback/support of others for their sense of wellbeing, that has to come from inside. A hundred great friends couldn't make me feel better about myself if I don't feel that way on my own, first.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty much just trying to manage my daily life as best I can. I haven't given up on everything, but need to reassess my goals. I haven't had much luck in making friends or socializing, and don't really have opportunities to do so anyway, so instead I'd like to find ways to be content being who I am, anxiety or no anxiety. I think this would have to be an important part of life whether I was socializing or not, since one can't always rely on the feedback/support of others for their sense of wellbeing, that has to come from inside. A hundred great friends couldn't make me feel better about myself if I don't feel that way on my own, first.
You are a wise woman indeed. It saddens me that so many patently brilliant people on here feel so trapped by this thing. Sometimes I wish I could heal the world but I suppose I should figure it out for myself first.

This really is an internal journey of making peace with ourselves and feeling better. Hugs my darling

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
I've tried really hard to eliminate most hopeful feelings from my life; all they have brought me is disappointment and depression. Instead, I try to go through every situation without any expectations. I still try hard to make changes, though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope? Tell me more of this strange alien concept.
This made me lol. Trust m e I get it. Turns out I just learned hope is what happens when I stop calling myself a loser and being ashamed. I was like wtf am I feeling? O ****! I think I'm hopeful lol. It just happened. I hope you feel it too someday. Feels nice.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This made me lol. Trust m e I get it. Turns out I just learned hope is what happens when I stop calling myself a loser and being ashamed. I was like wtf am I feeling? O ****! I think I'm hopeful lol. It just happened. I hope you feel it too someday. Feels nice.
I'm glad you laughed. I tend to use humor as an outlet and/or defense. :B

Maybe one day I'll get there.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Kind of.

I'd say that I'm keeping possibilities open. I think it could go rather well or terribly.

Oh wells, I guess it's up to me anyway ;)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know sometimes it feels hopeless, but I believe with everything within me we can enjoy the lives we want. We just can't count ourselves out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pretty straightforward.

Do you feel one day you may enjoy the company of others with more ease? Do you do therapy, take medication, meditate,take risks, soothe yourself, try to feel better, etc?

Or do you just try to manage your daily life as best you can?

Neither is better; I've experienced both. At the moment I'm feeling way more hopeful that I'll be able to get it together, feel good and live a satisfying life. I hope with all the little exercises I do that I'll continue to feel better. Only time Will tell however. For many years I felt hopeless and this is a nice change of pace.
i'm feeling extremely hopefull. however i don't like to use the word hope as it implies an eliment of wishing. i'm feeling certain rather than hopeful

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I would argue that doing all of those things is still managing your day as best as you can—ultimately it's just doing it differently than you would normally be comfortable with.

I take small steps when I can and I try to take risks when I feel like I can. I'm not always ready to do everything on a given day for reasons that can be anything.

I feel hopeful because I have to, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here writing this here. Why should other people be allowed to be happy and normal when I can't?

Anyway, that's how I see it. I think we all deserve to be happy. It's ok to start small and build up to the bigger things—even if to you that only seems like managing the simple things at your best, that's still in itself a form of progress. Give yourself the chance to feel peace.

Best of luck! ;)

·
Super Moderator
34,597 Posts
For myself? No. The best I can hope for is that I'll die in my sleep or something. I am hopeful that others who begin their lives under similar circumstances as my own will be able to beat the odds and end up not being in my shoes in the future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My main goal is to be an independent and self-sufficient adult. I do believe I can achieve this, but it will take time.
I may or may not find a suitable mating partner.
Then pay off my house and live stress-free.

·
Registered
440 Posts
no not really, it would be very unlikely.
a sudden game changing event would have to take place and it will take place but I am not sure how I would react. Most likely it would be as passive as the 30 prior years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts