Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you fail at your goals a lot? I do. Have any recommendations on how to have higher success rates with goals?

My only suggestion is to set goals so low that you have no excuse to fail at them. You then try to do more than your original goal if you can.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
nah

i start making progress, do pretty well, and give up, because i flat out lose incentive

so i just dive into mugs of wine for consolation and forget about it

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll do good for about two days and then seem to fall off. I can't seem to put a good solid week together of completing goals. I start getting depressed and then start losing the battle. A lot of my depression now is based on where I live it's very hot, ugly and depressing. Everyone here also speaks Spanish and I don't have any people to relate to. I've tried talking with a few women here but that has gone nowhere so I've given up on that.

All that really keeps me going is trying to set some goals for myself. It seems though that when I don't at least try to complete those goals I fall into a melancholy type state of mind. Also people my age are so far ahead of me in maturity that I can't really relate to them. An example would be my brother he has worked hard his entire life, and bought two houses. He has had the same disadvantages I've had. Somehow he was able to make something of himself. This depresses me because I'm living with my Mom right now. I've done nothing the past 10 years really to change, I feel that I'm waiting for things to happen that never do.

I have lived on my own for years before and taken care of myself but I can't do the manual labor jobs I used to do because of health reasons. That's depressing because that's all I'm qualified for. I also know my Mother isn't going to last forever so I'm terrified of that. I don't want to be homeless at all but if I don't do something that's what I can expect.

Sorry for rambling on I have a hard time reading longer posts myself. I just needed to get it out today I suppose.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Yeah I fail by losing motivation, rather than actually failing. I guess having clearer goals could help

·
Registered
100 Posts
nah
i start making progress, do pretty well, and give up, because i flat out lose incentive
I start getting depressed and then start losing the battle.
Yeah I fail by losing motivation, rather than actually failing. I guess having clearer goals could help
I have the same problem.

This is really ****ed up, ya know. Does this say a lot about people with SA? People with depression? People in general? Is this a common problem, or an ingrained problem within every person that few can overcome?

Is it mental? Chemical? Biological? Can it be fixed with pure willpower or perhaps a close confidant to help you through it? Or is it only possible to overcome through medicinal drug use like adderall and ritalin and all that other mind-****ing ****?

This is ****ed up.

·
fleeting
719 Posts
My motivation is chronically low, so i fail to even start most of my goals. I just keep putting them off.

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
I was the child who designed rules, games, and languages for fun, so planning is technically my strong suit... seeing things through, not so much.

Goal A can be three separate parts, or you can first obtain the smaller Goal B which helps you towards Goal A. Success can depend on seeing many Goal Bs or Goal Cs instead of one set path to the original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts