Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't. Just wondering who does, maybe it will motivate me to try it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used to walk around my campus (outside of walking to class) during my most depressed days. Would throw on the iPod and just walk and walk. Oddly enough it made me thin and now I'm trying to lose weight, but am less depressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I exercise at home; forget going to the gym. Just throw on some music and forget about everything else for a couple of hours, feels good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I halfheartedly exercise, go through a week off consistently doing it then stop for a week. Just started again the other day.

Mostly dumbbells, squats, sit-ups in comfort of my own home. Wouldn't feel confident enough for a gym.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yes, run on treadmill 4 days a week 20 minutes. Lift 3 times a week. I think it reduces my stress a little and gives me pleasure when I reach a goal such as lifting more or running faster.

·
No idea
780 Posts
Not at all. Most types of physical exercise give me anxiety and headaches, so I try to avoid it as best I can.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I did back in 2011, but once I started taking my antidepressants, I gained 40lbs and gave up on everything, pretty much. EXCEPT FOOD.

I have been off Celexa for 3mos, lost a few lbs just on metabolism alone, but still can't bring myself to exercise. When I did, though, I felt like such a happier person. I liked the way I looked, and even getting sweaty and out of breath was something I looked forward to. I hope to start on Feb 1 so I can lose a bunch of weight before summer starts.

I can either be sad now, and be sad in the summer... so be sad now, start working out, and feel good once the season gets here.

If anyone wants to join in 3/4x a week exercise routines, let's do it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes but not as often as I'd like or probably should.

As for motivation, for me it's primarily because a physically fit/toned body is more attractive and is also a sign that you care about your health. So it's... an attempt to look more appealing I suppose, to myself as well as others; 'when you look good you feel good' rings true to me.

Idk, maybe I'm shallow but there it is.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Yes but I've been neglecting it lately, although there is a gym opening around the corner basically one of these days, I am probably gonna check that out.

I think It'd be easier to commit myself to working out if I actually had a subscription to the gym like that.

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
I try to as much as i can.
I feel like it helps me a little bit with my SA if i know that i'm being an active and healthy person.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I don't exercise (just no motivation to, and when I did it didn't help my mental state), though I used to like taking walks in decent weather...I couldn't engage in it much this past summer as I developed hypothyroidism and put on a lot of weight, plus am just dead tired all the time. :sigh I even had to cancel my yearly trip to a nearby island where I walk around all day. I tried to go through with it, but I felt so tired and ill it's a good thing I didn't.

I'd really like to get back into walking, though there aren't many places around here to do so that aren't too short or too long. I kind of wish I could invest in a treadmill so I could walk whenever I want, however long I want, but I haven't room for one. I did buy a (real) bicycle but nearly killed myself from exhaustion on the ride home so used it only twice; I'm not strong/fit enough to handle a bike yet, I guess. And the old exercise bike never helped me. Meh. :/

1 - 20 of 52 Posts