Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wonder if some of the people I work with have a sad pitiful life like I do. I'd say I'm pretty perceptive, I can read people pretty well. There have been times when I've been proven wrong and disappointed when the truth reveals. I don't know, I think everybody has a tad bit of social anxiety, some of us just have it worse than others and some of us are really good at hiding it and some people are just better at life which is a real bummer.

Anyways, just wondering if you ever met someone who you knew very little about but kind of got the sense that they to weren't very full of life.

F**k my life!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know I can't read people well. Some people i see in class are very shy and barely talk but then i hear them on a break or something on a cell, and they're surprisingly expressive and animated. So i suppose a person like that has a bit of SA, they don't feel comfortable enough to be their true self in front of everyone. I think most people aren't their true self in front of everyone. Everyone has at least a bit of SA.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
A survey was done in the UK which came up with the result that over half of the workforce lies to their co-workers about what they did over the weekend, so that it'd look like they had more interesting lives than they do.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've known people i've worked with in the past who didn't really have a life outside of work, but at the time I knew them I was shutting myself off from everyone and everything so didn't try to get close to them. The people I work with now all have partners, families and friends, and it can be quite frustrating and upsetting to know that i've not really got anyone (apart from my younger brother) while they all have so many people in their lives.

And yeah, I think I can read people very well as well. I can definitely tell when a person is like me - it is in the way they carry themselves, or a look in their eye. There's just a very slight awkwardness or fear about them, and it stands out a mile to me. I guess when you're this way yourself, you just become tuned in to other people who feel the same way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't read people really well, but life has taught me that people tend to be more than you think. Of course, people will talk about the fun parts of their life and the times they went out. No one wants to talk about the days they spent alone at home or the personal troubles in their lives. There were certian people that I used to envy, but once I found out more about them, I'd end up feeling more sorry for them than anything.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
In my experience, you can't really judge a book by it's cover. I've met people who came off as shy or anxious, but later I found out that they're actually outgoing extroverts. You can't really get the full picture of someone's personality after a single encounter. Perhaps that person is just having a bad day and doesn't feel like talking. Likewise, the reverse is true. Some are good at acting like everything is fine, but on the inside they're suffering. It's sad when you think about it.

I'll admit, too, that I often lie to coworkers and family about what I've done over the weekend or whatever. I don't want them to think I'm a total recluse who shuns all human contact (even though it's the truth pretty much).

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is this guy I work with that gets special treatment from everybody else because his social situation is a little more delicate and sensitive. Usually when people say Hi to me or anything like that, of course I can't put the fact that I have social anxiety behind me but I still say Hi and I try my best to be as social as I can but this guy is really really really shy. I know he can't help it and everybody knows not to take it to heart if he puts his head down and looks away. He's in treatment and everything but this is something way beyond social anxiety, he seriously must of been traumatized by something earlier on. I don't judge him or anything, I'm certainly not better than him. I just think with his situation, it will be very hard for him to ever lead a normal everyday life. At least he's working though and he's around other people. Some people go on disability because of this disorder. Nobody wants to live the rest of their life hiding from the world. If you have to go on disability because of it, what can do you know, you just can't help it but when I almost filed for it all I could think was this was me giving up.

Alot of the other people at work are much like me. I think they hide their anxiety and I can see alot of myself in them. Sometimes they will talk about what they did over the weekend or how they went to the bar last night and did this with this guy. I get the suspicion that maybe they are lying but maybe they are not. I don't know for sure and then I wonder why I even care.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
It depends. I think the more accepted and well liked people are, the less likely they are to be really SA. I could be totally wrong about that but it always seemed like to me the most well liked people were never shy. At first, I thought they were well liked because they weren't shy or quiet but then I noticed most of the time, people liked them and gravitated to them immediately before they knew anything about their personality so I deduced that people liked their looks or their clothes or something they perceived about them.

I'm pretty sure some of the people I've known over the course of my life had some SA problems but I'm also pretty sure mine is worse than all the rest put together.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends. I think the more accepted and well liked people are, the less likely they are to be really SA. I could be totally wrong about that but it always seemed like to me the most well liked people were never shy. At first, I thought they were well liked because they weren't shy or quiet but then I noticed most of the time, people liked them and gravitated to them immediately before they knew anything about their personality so I deduced that people liked their looks or their clothes or something they perceived about them.
This makes alot of sense. I've noticed this sort of thing to. Some people just seem more interesting than others regardless of how social they are. Sometimes I just assume that well socialized people will tend to be more social towards others. It's probably more likely to be that way but I've met a few people who didn't exactly come across as social butterflys and suddenly have a crap load of followers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts