Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never do!! I can't imagine in my wildest dreams ever feeling that comfortable - Hades,for me would probably be one long dinner party from which I'd never escape.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
OMG no! I hate having strangers in my house. To me, my home is my sanctuary and I really dislike having it invaded, even by family or acquaintances.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
in the five years i have lived in this house i've only had people over twice. the first was when my friends (well, 3 of them) surprised me because they felt bad that i never have birthday parties. my mum loved the idea and helped them out, she even went in my room beforehand and cleaned and reorganized it so it looked nice. was not at all expecting to entertain friends in my house (it was even a bit past my birthdate) and have my mum go through my room.
oh that was definitely great fun for my SA, as you can imagine. ugh.

the next time was when a friend was over just for a few minutes when i needed to give him something. i used to like this guy and even briefly "dated" him but i used to always avoid having him come over (cause of SA of course). he was only there briefly so that was okay i guess.

i actually wouldn't mind having a friend or two over, i might feel more comfortable with it now. assuming my mood is okay and my room doesn't look too disgusting. one of my main worries is just having them feel bored or being awkward and not making interesting enough conversation. oddly one of my other factors that make me uncomfortable is when my family is over since it just makes me feel more awkward for them to be in the same room as us or to have them hear our conversation. if it was a male friend my mum would act weird too (i think? it shouldn't matter that much).

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've started to this past year, and frankly I really enjoy it. I've had people over for dinner several times (usually family members) and I've hosted a few poker games with co-workers.

I think its a great way to practice socializing in a controlled environment.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lithium4-Wow,you're brave!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I dunno know about that, I've just always felt much more comfortable at home then in public. So If I was going to try to push myself, might as well do it where I'm most comfortable.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
No. I have two friends and they really dislike my roommate. One hasn't been over since May, the other since about July. The annoying thing is, I see them all the damned time, they just avoid my apartment like the plague.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've started to this past year, and frankly I really enjoy it. I've had people over for dinner several times (usually family members) and I've hosted a few poker games with co-workers.

I think its a great way to practice socializing in a controlled environment.
I quite enjoy it too, I guess I have no choice, when my parents entertain I'm usually present. I do like having company over a meal so when I live by myself I would like to think I'd entertain every so often. Most of the time we don't have people over which is how I like it.

No. I have two friends and they really dislike my roommate. One hasn't been over since May, the other since about July. The annoying thing is, I see them all the damned time, they just avoid my apartment like the plague.
Your friends dislike your roommate that much?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My sister comes to my house all the time. My parents come to visit for a few days every now and then (they live pretty far away), my in-laws come for dinner once in a while.

Apart from that I may have extended family dinners once every other year (my parents are always here when that happens so I let them take over).

I would like to entertain more in my home with friends but don't really have enough close friends to do so (or enough courage to invite acquaintances - worried no one would show up...). I think it would be much better being in my home to do it than somewhere else. At least, if they make the effort to come over, I know they want to see me and if I need some away time, I can pretend I'm busy in the kitchen or whatever.

I much prefer having people come to me than me having to go out to them......

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My family used to have get togethers, but I never had any when I was on my own. I think it's easier just to go to a friend's party rather than mess my own place up.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Partyyyyy!!! Now if I just had some friends...

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
No I'm very particular about having people over.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I would actually love to entertain friends, sometimes. Dinner parties, game nights, t.v. parties.
BUT, I'd only do this if I lived on my own. Until then, no way.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
No not really. I have had people over maybe twice or so since buying this house five years ago; the home being my refuge thing as voiced above applies to me.

I dont live near my family thought because if they lived here I would have them over all the time.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'd be willing to invite other SAS members over with the understanding that the house is an OCD mess.

Actually, watching "Hoarders" and "Obsessed" on A&E lately has made me feel better. I may have quite a mess of papers, but I can promise you that there is no rotting food, fecal matter, nor stench and for the most part you can actually find enough floor to navigate through the place. Not tidy, but the city would never condemn it either.

"Mess" seems to have many different meanings. Long ago I had a woman invite me over, but apologize over the phone that the place would be a total mess. I come over and the mess amounts to maybe 3 boxes in her living room and the rest of the place is so tidy as to be ready for an Open House. She calls that a mess!?! Good thing she never saw my place.

I hope to get a digital camera so I can share my mess with all of you since words don't do it justice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts