Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do this sometimes when I walk to the gas station or somewhere close by alone. I really hate it because I am worried that people are judging me as a loser with no friends. But I sometimes need to get out of my apartment and I don't know what else to do. I don't have a car. :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure no one thinks ur a loser. if you have a sullen or scared look on your face they may think something is off...but people need to walk everywhere to get things done everyday.. no one can tell just by seeing you on the street what ur like or what your social life is like.

walk proud!

·
The Kwisatz Haderach
205 Posts
I do this sometimes when I walk to the gas station or somewhere close by alone. I really hate it because I am worried that people are judging me as a loser with no friends. But I sometimes need to get out of my apartment and I don't know what else to do. I don't have a car. :(
This is a feeling I'm extremely well acquainted with. At my worst I can't even muster the pluck to venture outside of my house. On the occasions that I do, the embarrasment of being seen, often makes me break out in a cold sweat. I've even gone to the extremes of gardening during the middle of the night to avoid being noticed.

The paradox is that my manner probably attracts more attention to me than I would recieve if I just bit the bullet and started going out with a little more regularity. So far though I just haven't been able to rise to the challenge with enough consistency for it to change my life.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I've walked so often alone that I've berely escaped a mugging 3 times. :)

Well at least I'm not gonna walk in completely isolated areas anymore. But still ,like the O.P. i need to get out of the house sometimes, and often when I do, everyone else is conviniently busy.. so i go by myself, with no woman by my side, and no buddy to makes jokes with, along the way.

Besides .. I like exercise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The fear of being seen prevents me from doing that more often than I'd like.
However, yesterday I just HAD to get out of the house, so I walked around the apartment complex. It felt good to get out.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
It's kind of funny - I sort of turn into a speed walker,I'm so sure I appear strange in some way or another.- I'm much more comfortable walking at night,then I can relax and sometimes even enjoy it! Perhaps I should have been a vampire!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used to love to go for walks (alone, though that part was less my choice). I would just grab my cd player and headphones and set off. I had a small bunch of cars stop and offer me rides though, that was a bit creepy. One lady even turned her truck around to ask me..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I walk alone every day. :) I see plenty of other people do it too, and the first thing I think of when I see them isn't if they have friends or not. In fact I don't really think anything of it. I don't think anyone does when they see other people walking. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm nodding and crying at the same time. I feel like that . . . everyday. Like everyone is just talking about me, judging me with their eyes.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I might think that in certain situations, especially socially situations where it's expected that you're with other people. But in general, I don't. I think if you go around acting confident (even if you aren't) and looking like you know what you're doing, people won't even think anything of you being alone.

·
Banned
1,593 Posts
Walking, no, a lot of people walk by themselves, although I tend to sometimes do it at odd times...

If I'm at a public place, and it's common to be there as groups, then I automatically leave most times, unless I'm with at least one other person.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm nodding and crying at the same time. I feel like that . . . everyday. Like everyone is just talking about me, judging me with their eyes.
Me too. I'm always thinking people are staring at me and thinking I'm a loser. Especially when I muster up the courage to go to the health food store around the corner. I don't have an income (applying for disability) but they have produce really cheap, everything else is organic and expensive. From the time I pull up in the parking lot in my "beater" car to the time I get back home frightens me to death. The worst part of going there is that there are so many "well to do" people that spend 100s of dollars on organic food and I'm always paranoid they are looking down on me even though for all they know I could good have a good job and lots of money...

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I can go driving alone if I need to go somewhere but for the life of me I can't bring myself to go for a walk alone, I've tried several times and never make it past the front door.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yah i try every now and then but once i actually get out there i get so nervous that when i head back to my house I feel so relieved and safe when my house is in sight.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Yes I walk alone a lot. But I hate it in a way, cause it always feels like everyone is starring :|

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
I'm lucky because I generally don't have a problem walking around outside and in stores like that even though I have SA really bad as far as one on one with people, but if it makes you feel better I don't think people even notice others walking down sidewalks and stuff other than tangentially out of the corner of their eye.

The only exception I think is when you see someone who is probably homeless and maybe schizophrenic wearing very worn and dirty clothes and talking very loudly to themselves.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I do this all the time. It's one of my favorite hobbies, actually.

The only part of it I don't like is crossing the street, especially where there aren't stoplights and walk signs and I arrive at an intersection the same time a car does. I always feel like I'm really annoying the driver by crossing and making them have to wait. I always wish they would just go first; I'd rather wait until the intersection is clear. But I guess drivers are required to yield to pedestrians or something (though I don't drive myself, so I don't really know how that's supposed to work; nor am I certain that most drivers really do get annoyed to have to wait for pedestrians to cross--I feel like it would be annoying, though, so I always feel self-conscious about it).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts