Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Song and action man
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only time I mentioned it to my family was my parents years back when I did meet someone in person from this site. I just kept it that I met him at an anxiety support group online.

It's not that I'm even embarrassed it's just stuff people don't need to know about me you know? Certain people it's just better to stick to generic topics so to speak.

But maybe if I'm more comfortable in the future?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes. I don’t really care to hide it and I post stuff in public or around family. Lol :D When my cousin sees it he’s like “nawwwww!” and tells me it’s lame thing to do. idc

·
Failure's Art
2,198 Posts
No never, not that I have anyone to tell. Anyone I do have to tell wouldn't get it and I don't want to explain it / be judged.

·
alien monk
8,555 Posts
now and then

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,661 Posts
A few years ago, I suggested it to my wife who has a friend with SA, she created an account and left shortly after. As far as family, I have a little roller desk by the couch as we don't have the space for a computer room or a desk. Because of that, my wife is often sitting next to me and she does see this site open often.

I don't think anyone else knows, but then I don't really know anyone that I could tell anyway. I don't think most people would care enough to really be interested that I go here regardless.

Edit:
Almost forgot, my wife's neurologist knows - I printed out a blog I wrote regarding a seizure my wife had a few years ago and he used that to help diagnose her when she went in for her last appointment.

·
bipolar
16,988 Posts
My son, my wife, my sister, probably a shrink here and there. It's not something I'd mention to just anyone though - I don't think most people understand anxiety very well at all, let alone social anxiety.

I would be more comfortable admitting to having bipolar disorder - but I'm a bit wary with that too.

·
Administrator
8,964 Posts
No. My mum accidentally saw it a few years ago, so I said I never post here.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,144 Posts
No and never. And I don't really see the point to. Telling people I frequent a particular forum, I don't think anyone I know in real life will care.

The bigger question would be, will I ever tell anyone I have anxiety or any other mental disorders, and it will also be no and never. For almost everyone I know except for a very few, anything that isn't having an active social, romantic and personal life, it would be a huge stigma and red flag. I had quite a few people cut off from me when they found out I am not active on instagram or other social media. Probably associating with someone who doesn't have visual proof of having an interesting life isn't worth associating with.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
(.*?)
6,655 Posts
A few times I have at social anxiety meetups, because that's the only place there's the slightest chance anyone might've heard of this site.

I'd mention social anxiety (although I wouldn't say "disorder") to anybody if it comes up, though. It can only make them more understanding, I'd rather they think I'm anxious than that I hate them (unless I hate them).

·
Registered
111 Posts
My girlfriend knows I'm on here, but I hardly ever mention this forum . There are more important things going on in my life that are worth bringing up in conversation.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I've never mentioned it to anyone and probably never will. I mean if I'm comfortable with the person maybe I would tell them I've been on anxiety related forums but I wouldn't be specific. I'm weird and deeply ashamed of myself I think. I don't want my internet and real life self to join together. I can post some pretty pathetic stuff on here. My deep inner thoughts about how depressed and lonely I am. I don't want people irl to know this about me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only time I mentioned it to my family was my parents years back when I did meet someone in person from this site. I just kept it that I met him at an anxiety support group online.

It's not that I'm even embarrassed it's just stuff people don't need to know about me you know? Certain people it's just better to stick to generic topics so to speak.

But maybe if I'm more comfortable in the future?
I’d never tell anyone I post here. I don’t even post in public because I’m afraid someone will see my phone screen and recognize the site.

·
Song and action man
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What would be the point of that?
Some stuff on other forums I’ve posted I shared with some family members as it’s stuff they would like as well.

I guess around some people it could be a coming out of the closet so to speak... I mean it could be looked at as a challenge like that if you want to be completely open around someone

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have any reason not to tell people I just don't think anyone would care to know. If it happen to come up in a conversation or if someone asked me I would probably tell them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts