Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing some Fiction for money and I sometimes purposely depresses myself with music to connect more with the situation I'm writing.

Has anyone noticed how much music affect your state of mind?

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
Yes. I avoid listening to sad music for this reason. If i'm in a bad mood, it will only make things worse. I can only listen to it and be relatively unaffected if i'm in a great mood.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Only for purposes like writing. Otherwise I find it difficult to listen to music that doesn't match my mood. A happy song when I'm sad will just sound bad and frustrate me. :b

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
If music can affect your mood then couldn't some kind of audio therapy help with SA? You could wear earbuds playing anxiety releaving confidence building music in anxiety producing situations (when possible).

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If music can affect your mood then couldn't some kind of audio therapy help with SA? You could wear earbuds playing anxiety releaving confidence building music in anxiety producing situations (when possible).
Music has helped me tremendously trying to overcome some of my anxiety problems. However because we all have different tastes is hard to probably find a "standard" therapeutic music that makes you feel empowered. With that said, yes. I bought an new ipod and good head phones and went out to one of my biggest anxiety triggers (a mall all by myself) although I'm still working on this I tell you. Music helps a lot

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Some music affects my state of mind so much that I literally cannot listen to it unless I want to get terribly depressed. It sucks, since it's music I really like, but if I hear it I want to cry! :sigh

I don't need to listen to it to get into a frame of mind for writing fiction, though I do tend to come up with mental scenarios upon hearing certain songs repeatedly, like it's a soundtrack and my mind forms the images to go along with it. :yes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh man so much. I like dance/vocal trance kind of music and a few days ago I popped in this one song and I literally melted into my seat, I was that relaxed. I should say it was also because of the zoloft that made me feel that way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
maybe i should escape from depression with help of music, but generally i like to intensify the feelings (whenever im a bit sad i listen to a very depressing album :), whenever im angry i listen to aggressive music and so on)

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe i should escape from depression with help of music, but generally i like to intensify the feelings (whenever im a bit sad i listen to a very depressing album :), whenever im angry i listen to aggressive music and so on)
same. Generally I think when you are doing anything creative music just makes everything so much better

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some music affects my state of mind so much that I literally cannot listen to it unless I want to get terribly depressed. It sucks, since it's music I really like, but if I hear it I want to cry! :sigh

I don't need to listen to it to get into a frame of mind for writing fiction, though I do tend to come up with mental scenarios upon hearing certain songs repeatedly, like it's a soundtrack and my mind forms the images to go along with it. :yes
I also don't need music in general to get in a writing mood. HOWEVER, when you are trying to write something insane (in this case) or depressing is hard to do it if you are feeling happy and in a different mind frame. Which is why I listen to music

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I listen to music when I'm drawing for inspiration.
I used to do that too as a kid (back when I was big into drawing) is the same thing really, I think music just syncs your feelings with whatever creative thing you are doing

·
Unique
120 Posts
I does a lot, I used to find miracle cure in headphones, but it's pretty awkward doing that all the time and listening to music in every other stress filled situation. So I dropped it of. I was considered not normal.

People are just too superficially minded and that's big problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes. It can affect it greatly, especially when I hear a song that triggers a memory. Even if it's a rare positive memory, I get emotional. I can't seem to ride those feelings out. Sometimes I force myself to listen to certain songs, hoping I'll get over the memories. Seems senseless.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Music definitely makes me feel better whenever I feel depressed. Listening to Coldplay in particular right now, my mood went up at least 2 notches.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes. I do it by repeating a song over and over until I can play it in my head with little effort. Almost like memorizing the song and then using that song to influence my mood when I am doing something. I can play it anytime and I can choose to play a song that is aggressive, happy, or just relaxing. It helps keep the mind occupied from negative and anxious thoughts and it was very effective at work. This actually was my first coping mechanism for SAD in high school. It felt like I just ignored everything and drifted through life with the music. The only thing though is that it made me stop caring about everything and I think it made me stupider because of the constant repetition. So I have stopped doing that and will probably stop listening to music to avoid earworms since I get them pretty easily now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts