Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything seems sooooo much harder for me than for most other people. Conversations,driving somewhere new,the first time I attempt almost anything I really struggle with it. I wonder if mentally I'm really more fragile or if everybody else just toughs it out. I feel weak and scared of the world most of the time. If I do have a rare day where I feel strong and capable,all it takes is some minor thing-making a mistake,someone looking at me oddly-then I'm slammed right back down again. Is most of what we see in others a false front constructed to help them navigate? If so,how can so many of them be such convincing actors?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oh all the time.. It's hard being a male with these problems. My family and one or two co-workers give me a hard time when it comes to this.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I can sympathize! I'd never given it much thought,but yes, I can see how it would probably be worse for males.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Everything seems sooooo much harder for me than for most other people. Conversations,driving somewhere new,the first time I attempt almost anything I really struggle with it. I wonder if mentally I'm really more fragile or if everybody else just toughs it out. I feel weak and scared of the world most of the time.
I thought this even as a little kid. I just felt like God left an essential ingredient out of me, and I wasn't strong enough for this world. My hope as a child was that I would magically morph into a confident, competent, functioning human being when I became an adult. I used to think that if I could just survive childhood, I would be okay. I'm glad I didn't know then that I'd still feel the exact same way now. I've never felt cut out for the world.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
The strongest trees sway in the wind, they embrace the mystery and uncertainty.
The mighty oak can be snapped if the wind is strong yet the willow will give way and survive unscathed.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
I can so totally relate to the title of this thread.

People just have no idea what it is like for some people like us who really have to work hard to accomplish things they seem to do effortlessly. Thus, we get very little credit for the stuff we do accomplish, even though it damned near killed us. So even when we do good all we get is "big deal, so what?"

Can't win for losing.

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
Very much so. I wonder why the simplest things are so impossible for me to achieve.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
In someways for example making small talk, yes, I lag behind my peers. I have accepted this. Over the last couple months, I have been growing a tougher skin. Negative remarks or interactions slide off my back. Very little bothers me. I can feel myself changing everyday. I have toughened up alot.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Wow- I just wrote a short email to my friend telling her I just wasn't built strong enough for this world. I just can't cope with everything life has thrown at me- SA, depression, medical conditions, and a million other things. I'm starting to buckle now, I'm finding just getting through the day harder and harder now.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Everything seems sooooo much harder for me than for most other people. Conversations,driving somewhere new,the first time I attempt almost anything I really struggle with it. I wonder if mentally I'm really more fragile or if everybody else just toughs it out. I feel weak and scared of the world most of the time. If I do have a rare day where I feel strong and capable,all it takes is some minor thing-making a mistake,someone looking at me oddly-then I'm slammed right back down again. Is most of what we see in others a false front constructed to help them navigate? If so,how can so many of them be such convincing actors?
Yes, I am much more sensitive than, yeah, I think everyone I know! I usually perceive myself as 'crazy'. I have paper-thin skin. I have sobbed a few times just this year for things my clients have said to me. I think it's our brain chemistry. Well, combine that with my father telling me daily I was a kill joy...

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I feel like I'm losing the battle as well. Some days, like today, are worse than others. *sigh* I'm so sick of the ups and downs... I don't even know what I'm going to do when life's "big events" happen, like losing a parent. Can't even imagine...

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I remember trying. Not sure what I was thinking, if I actually thought it was going to work or what. Now I'm dead inside. Yay?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts