Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i am in social situations... eg. college, family gatherings.. i always feel like i have nothing to say. I usually just sit back in silence, unless someone talks to me. When people do talk to me, i can very rarely hold an interesting conversation.. and i do try. I don't want to be like this.. i'd love to be loquacious and sociable, but it isn't possible, and it makes me feel so alone.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
Hmm yeah, I get that too, I don't get much further than Hello and Bye unless someone else keeps a convo going. Though, unlike you, I don't really feel the need to talk that much either so I guess that makes it easier for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here. I stumble bigtime. All these people asking how I am doing and how are my kids. I answer them but after i answer I am usually too flustered to be courteous and ask how there kids. etc are doing. Walk away feeling inconsiderate.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
most times I have nothing to say, though its more like I have nothing to contribute to what ever conversation is going on, it seems like me and the rest of the world are different species or something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's the point in talking with someone when you've got nothing to say? Yeah, I feel like that often. I just don't see the point in many conversations. I can keep a conversation going to be polite or if it's expected or whatever, but I don't enjoy it and it doesn't feel natural. It's all an act.

I most often experience this when I meet people I haven't seen in a while (people I don't care particularly about). The whole catching up bit is just so ... uninteresting. Trying to avoid it as much as possible. It's more relaxed when I'm with my family/friends.

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
i'm the same way...my brain is always a blank. or i'm too busy trying to think of something relevant to say that i am not actually paying attention to what's being said and then i'm lost. most times i feel it's better for me to keep my mouth shut cuz something stupid's gonna come out if i don't.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
We all have something to say, but are social skills are lacking, so we don't know how to bring ourselves into the conversation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
same here. the truth is, I don't have much to say. Most people sit around and talk about their lives and tell stories, but my life is work, school, and church, with a little social interaction here and there. Other then that, I spend all my time trying to fix my SA -learning positive ways of thinking, going to the counsellor, trying to analyze what it is that makes me so nervous around others- and that's just not something I can bring up in a casual conversation.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
It seems like not having anything to say is my biggest problem. What's been working for me lately is to ask the other person open-ended questions about themselves. Let them do the talking. Take an interest in them and who they are. With every word they say think to ask who, what, when, where, why, and how? Chances are they'll say something that will spark your interest and maybe provoke a conversation.

·
For Fox Sake
797 Posts
i got called mr conversation as a joke by some dickhead

·
Registered
582 Posts
I get that a lot too, there's just not enough interesting things for me to talk about. Generally i just sit and listen to the conversation while occasionally throwing in a comment or two.

·
609 Posts
Don't you hate it when people say "this person here just doesn't shut up! haha!" to you when your in a group of people?

or they call you a chatterbox?

·
Haters to the left.
2,699 Posts
Yep. I can never think of anything interesting to say. My mind goes completely blank especially when I'm with people I don't know very well, so I just stay quiet and listen to everyone else blabber on and on. I'm a horrible conversation-starter. I just never know what to talk about! Being quiet, I may seem stuck-up to other people, but oh well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts