Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently graduated from grad school & started my first job and my life is SO boring. Monday through Friday...work, come home, eat, watch tv/play on internet, sleep @ 9:30pm & repeat. The weekends are reserved for running errands and the occasional movie/dinner trip.

But, overall, it makes me think "this is it" with regard to the rest of my life. I'm 24 now, & I feel like all the fun of "youth" is over. The fun I didn't live up to as much as I should have.

I have no desire for marriage or children, so I guess, now, I will be doing this same **** until I retire.
What a waste of life.

I know we have to work to live, & I would enjoy growing in my work but it is so thoughtless & boring. I just always thought there was more to life than this. :um Any insight from people that are older & have been in this "world" longer??

·
Registered
609 Posts
i think like that once in awhile but it depends, what do you enjoy doing??it really stinks working all week and then here comes the weekend and you are tired or and just dont feel like doing anything..thats when i start questionming my life...you are still young though so you shouldnt worry about that...

·
Registered
167 Posts
If there is more to life than that, I'll be the first one to find out and let you know. I can't pass my classes and get a real job no matter what I do, so the conventional life that everybody takes for granted is barred to me. Right now the plan is, go to festivals, do a lot of drugs, drink like crazy, meet new people, and wait until the bottom falls out.

I could never imagine working more than 30 hours/week anyway, it's pointless having money if you don't have any free time to enjoy it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think like that once in awhile but it depends, what do you enjoy doing??it really stinks working all week and then here comes the weekend and you are tired or and just dont feel like doing anything..thats when i start questionming my life...you are still young though so you shouldnt worry about that...
I like to travel...but that requires money and I'm really trying to save all my $$$ for my future house down payment. Plus, I've never traveled alone...so it's a little scary.

Other than that, I have no idea what I like.

·
Registered
609 Posts
oh and if any of you are thinking that going out to bars and gettiung drunk is going to fill that void, think again...i did that to the point where it actually made the void bigger and thats when i really started questioning the reason behind our existence..i mean, you work all week just to go out and drink on the weekdns??wow..

·
Got nothin to loseeee but
58 Posts
Is This It?

The question on my mind.

I hope not, is the only answer that I can come up with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm terrified of what will happen after college, which is why (for now) I'm trying to enjoy it while I can and hopefully go to grad school. But after school, when I don't have a constant goal I'm working towards? I'm petrified. How many people find a job they truly enjoy doing for the rest of their lives? I'm still working on that, but I'm afraid that life will be like my summers now - like you said, get up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat. I hate my summers because of this monotony. But I have to hope that getting an actual career (not my current job of cashier) will be slightly more fulfilling to do every day.

I don't have any desire for kids but I would like to have a boyfriend or a husband. But I've put those thoughts at the back of my mind because of their near impossibility.

Do you like your current job? I know I feel like I do well in school and succeed just because it's expected of me to excel and I don't know what else I could do without it. How about you? Did you go to grad school for something you love? Or at least like?
You pretty much nailed it. I always had the goal of graduating with my Master's degree & getting this AMAZING job. But, what you think you'll get after college job-wise is so far from what you get. You almost always do some monotonous work a monkey could do...that is life @ the entry level I guess.

I graduated with a 4.0 and was always the best at everything school-wise, so it is very disheartening to do such crap all day. I thought if you work hard in school you get your amazing job--not true. IF I had it to do all over again, I would have just made grades to pass & had more fun.

I'm lucky to have a job related to my major (Business Accounting) since most of the liberal arts grads are working at Starbucks or Hollister---but it's still sad for me. I don't like it because it doesn't challenge me. Even though it requires a degree, I could have done it right out of high school I'm sure. I'm bored 98% of the day. It's also so damn social. :eek:

·
Banned
497 Posts
I recently graduated from grad school & started my first job and my life is SO boring. Monday through Friday...work, come home, eat, watch tv/play on internet, sleep @ 9:30pm & repeat. The weekends are reserved for running errands and the occasional movie/dinner trip.

But, overall, it makes me think "this is it" with regard to the rest of my life. I'm 24 now, & I feel like all the fun of "youth" is over. The fun I didn't live up to as much as I should have.

I have no desire for marriage or children, so I guess, now, I will be doing this same **** until I retire.
What a waste of life.

I know we have to work to live, & I would enjoy growing in my work but it is so thoughtless & boring. I just always thought there was more to life than this. :um Any insight from people that are older & have been in this "world" longer??
no way . im 26 and my life hasnt started yet but i have big dreams and am excited about the future and my life.

im gonna get the carear of my dreams. then im gonn 100% defeat SA and live a ery fullfilling social life and be a new persn. im gonna make up for all the fun ive missed out on

then im gonna grow up, find my soul mate , have kids , live a perfect family life with the woman of my dreams whilst also living the carear of my dreams .

hopefully there will be a cure for death before i die so i can live forever and evolve

im extremely excited about overcming sa. excited to finally do all the little things ive previously missed out on such as going on a date, pulling a girlad taking her home for sex,

·
Banned
497 Posts
life is about having fullfilment in every single area of your life .

imagine waking up in the morning in yuor perfect home , and your soul mate, the woman of your dreams is lying next to you.

then you get up and go to work in your dream carear. you are doing the one thing that you was born to do , the one thing that you love. you would pay to do it .

you look in the mirror and you are in the best shape of your life. you have perfect health and you feel full of energy. in the bank you have millionsof dollars.

you get home and enjoy a meal with your family who all love each other. then you go out with friends and have a blast. no anxiety just pure confidence and the event is s enjoyable

thats what lfes about nd thats wot we should all strive to reach

·
Registered
167 Posts
life is about having fullfilment in every single area of your life .

imagine waking up in the morning in yuor perfect home , and your soul mate, the woman of your dreams is lying next to you.

then you get up and go to work in your dream carear. you are doing the one thing that you was born to do , the one thing that you love. you would pay to do it .

you look in the mirror and you are in the best shape of your life. you have perfect health and you feel full of energy. in the bank you have millionsof dollars.

you get home and enjoy a meal with your family who all love each other. then you go out with friends and have a blast. no anxiety just pure confidence and the event is s enjoyable

thats what lfes about nd thats wot we should all strive to reach
Knowing your specific dream job, your specific dream lover, your specific dream life requires knowing who you are. If you know who you are, then you're already in very good shape emotionally. Part of the problem with social anxiety and avoiding life experiences is that it's impossible to know yourself without the benefit of those experiences.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Knowing your specific dream job, your specific dream lover, your specific dream life requires knowing who you are. If you know who you are, then you're already in very good shape emotionally. Part of the problem with social anxiety and avoiding life experiences is that it's impossible to know yourself without the benefit of those experiences.
i know who i am . i never used to though

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes (thought I'd already replied!)
I have a PhD, but been working as a secretary for 2 years and wondering if I will ever marry my partner of 8 years or just drift along like this forever. I don't enjoy doing things, but then I am depressed.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
I think life is about being happy, so if u aren't happy, then you better think about other lifestyles/activities/experiences/careers (no matter what others think about your choices!) soon before you end up spending years stuck in this rut.

·
Registered
234 Posts
have you ever heard that your 30's are the best years of y our life?
I've heard this from many people. And they all say it's because you finally know who you are. I don't feel I've made great improvements in that department so we'll see....

Sometimes I do feel like this is it but for the most part I'm functioning as if my moment to shine hasn't arrived yet. Then I realized that I haven't allowed myself to shine and feel like I will always live in my current state. Neverending cycle :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts