Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating this for awhile.
Are there any other people who were passionate about a career, but talked yourself out of it because you thought you would be too quiet or awkward to succeed?

·
waiting to bloom
8,863 Posts
I'm not looking forward to more retail since I was always awkward with the managers, and felt like they thought I was not too bright, but I don't have any skills really.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I struggle with this every day. It is the major stumbling block in my job search (and life in general). The part that really gets me is that I'm qualified to do what I want. Lingering irrational fears prevent me from chasing it wholeheartedly. It's as though I don't have faith that things will work out on their own if I work hard so I find excuses to sidetrack myself. Deep down this always leaves me uneasy though.

Several times in my life I have mustered the wherewithal to chase my career goals (going to graduate school, taking afellowship overseas) but its like I'm missing a piece that others have that helps them capitalize on the experience. I always assume that piece is social anxiey/phobia.

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part that really gets me is that I'm qualified to do what I want. Lingering irrational fears prevent me from chasing it wholeheartedly. It's as though I don't have faith that things will work out on their own if I work hard so I find excuses to sidetrack myself.
Exactly. I feel like I would sometimes take a job where I was way over qualified in order to feel like i belonged and brought value to the company or position. If I was ever under qualified, I think i would feel extremely anxious that i wasn't "earning" my wage.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
No. Years ago I went to a seminar by Tom Platz and he said "you won't choose your career, your career will choose you". True with me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A bit, yes. I feel I could have already been much more successful in life, with my career, had it not been for SA and my lack of self-esteem. I am not looking forward to doing retail or customer service for the rest of my life though, so I am hoping that I can learn to cope with my problems somehow and become successful . . . I know I have the brains and determination, it's just getting through all of the obstacles that seem to overwhelm me.

·
Shoe Czar
198 Posts
Absolutely. I feel like I would have finished college if I didn't have SA and I'd probably be doing something far more lucrative than construction.

·
Surviving...
200 Posts
I've been contemplating this for awhile.
Are there any other people who were passionate about a career, but talked yourself out of it because you thought you would be too quiet or awkward to succeed?
Yup. My dream job is one in fashion writing but as of late, my sa and my increasing worries of how others judge my looks has really hurt me these last few years.

Right now, I'm, at a point where I'm too terrified too apply for a job because my SA has gotten so bad. I really wish there was a bigger resource on SAS for people trying to navigate business culture with having anxiety issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts