Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even talking about class presentations. But something as simple as raising their hand in class and asking the professor a question or giving their input to a question the professor asks the class.

I wish I could do that. I REALLY wish I could do that. Any tips on how to overcome this fear? Is CBT the best way to overcome this?

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
Asking questions by the raise of a hand has always been something I've been too fearful to do, and I have been envious of others who can so easily speak up and carry on discussions with a teacher.
The times where I have to ask a question in order to complete a task/assignment, I try to think of this way: perhaps someone else in the room wants to ask the same thing, so if I speak up and receive an answer, I will be helping one or more people.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
I'd imagine as with any fear, exposure therapy would be best. I've read posts on here from people who've joined Toastmasters and have had success with that.

For speaking in class, I don't know.. I've always avoided that as much as possible in my classes. One suggestion that makes perfect sense, that I've seen mentioned here before, is to start early. Meaning: if, say, it's a 14-week program, you should start talking on the first day because it'll just get more difficult with each class that passes by.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Nope, not envious at all. I consider what students say in class to be a total waste of time. I am there to listen to the professor only, i could care less what anyone else says.

During presentations I am respectful by looking at the presenter. But I don't really pay attention as I just sit there and day dream.

·
Haters to the left.
2,697 Posts
I do envy those people who seem to have no problem articulating their thoughts out loud to the class. I could never do that. No way. When I do have to speak up in class, my voice almost always cracks and takes on this strange tone. Ugh.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes. I went to a performing arts high school were it was required that you audition for classes that you had to take, give 12 oral presentation for each class a year and had to perform before the school. Its amazing how I got through it...There were students who absolutely enjoyed having everyone's attention on them...for crying out loud, Screech from Saved By The Bell went to my high school...
I hate what Ive turned into...

·
Registered
25 Posts
i used to absolutely dread class presentations. On the first day of class, i would wait for the teacher to announce that awful presentation and i could feel my stomach turn right away. I would obsess over it for the entire school year.

I also used to have the biggest fear of the teacher picking on me without my raising my hand. I guess i used to fear that i would have the wrong answer and "prove" that i was stupid....when in fact i've been a 4.0 student for most of my life.

For me, it totally depends on where i am...when i went to my Art college, i felt inferior and i was terrified of being negatively critiqued...when i was at my local community college, i felt smarter than most people and the anxiety was slightly better.

Today, i painfully try to get one or two words out in class...its hard, but i really try to...and only when i an confident that i don't sound like an idiot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts