Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most people do, otherwise comforting wouldn't be a thing. But what about us with SA? How do you feel about people trying to comfort you when you're upset?

I have pretty mixed feelings about it. I hate people seeing me be weak, but it also feels good to have someone care and try to take care of me. I think I'm more willing to accept comforting when I'm upset about something 'legitimate' rather than something caused by my anxiety issues or depression.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I have pretty mixed feelings about it. I hate people seeing me be weak, but it also feels good to have someone care and try to take care of me.
If I'm around someone I don't want to see me weak then I'll pretend to be okay or in a good mood, even. But I like being comforted by the few people I allow to see me vulnerable - aka my boyfriend and occasionally my mom.

I had a few friends back in high school and they've never seen me sad, lol. Even the one friend I knew since 1st grade. :b I never felt comfortable letting "friends" know my weaknesses or troubles. I'm more open about my feelings with you guys on this site than I was with them. :stu

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'm at a point in my life where any sort of comfort really doesn't do much for me.

Personally I find it that it's more therapeutic for me to try and provide support and comfort for others, but even finding people to whom I can offer that is very difficult.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If it's someone who understands because they've experienced something similar or just know me well, it can be helpful. If I feel like they don't know what I'm going through and are just applying platitudes I appreciate the intent but it won't make me feel much better.

Neither sort comes up often for me.

·
uggla
10,065 Posts
I have pretty mixed feelings about it. I hate people seeing me be weak, but it also feels good to have someone care and try to take care of me. I think I'm more willing to accept comforting when I'm upset about something 'legitimate' rather than something caused by my anxiety issues or depression.
I'm the same way.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I really don't. Even when I'm dealing with something major my little sister/big sister try to do that "spill your guts you will feel better" thing girls do and I absolutely resist it because it feels cheesy and dramatic. Having said, since they don't leave me alone until I talk I eventually open up and it usually isn't such a bad thing. It actually is kind of helpful when you have a lot of pent up stress.

·
Hopeful & Strong : )
174 Posts
I'm always open to receive comfort and kindness from people. I think comfort and kindness is one of the best gifts you can give and receive. It's definitely better than the opposite.

·
intimacy without pain
1,192 Posts
I think I'm more willing to accept comforting when I'm upset about something 'legitimate' rather than something caused by my anxiety issues or depression.
This is so true for me too. If someone sees me upset and it's just my "run of the mill" anxiety or depression, I feel like a crybaby, and worry that from their perspective, I'm crying over nothing. But if something tragic has actually happened, I'm a lot less self-conscious about it.

In either case, I definitely welcome comfort from whomever wants to offer it. Sometimes a hug or sympathetic words are all I need to get through some days, but I have to learn to go without it, most times. Perhaps that isn't a bad thing.

·
blob
1,221 Posts
in person, i dont like being comforted because i cry more when being comforted. i'd rather just suffer by myself

also when people just say cliche things like its gonna be ok, youre gonna be fine...in my head i'm like NOPE lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
I hate the thought of someone having to "care of me". As a man, that would be humiliating.

If I f*** up, I f*** up - and am able to push myself to deal with the consequences.
Someone comforting me is like them seeing me as weak - and it's in their nature to nurture.
I don't see myself as weak, though. So I'd rather not be comforted.

·
Despite all my rage..
2,757 Posts
It depends:

If I'm pissed off/upset: I'd much rather be left alone for a while until I cool down, especially if YOU are the one that made me feel that way. I don't take to being comforted very well or being "cheered up". I just need space.

If I'm sad/depressed: I do enjoy being comfort if you legitimately care, empathize and understand me. Generally just the fact that someone cares about the fact that I'm feeling down is comfort within itself.

·
Permanently Tired
825 Posts
No, not really. If I'm mad or upset I prefer to be left alone until I feel better. I especially hate people seeing my cry. If someone tries to hug me or whatever when I'm crying it would only make me want to cry more.

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
no, because no one knows me well enough, for them to know what I was going through.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
nope I don't like it sometime I feel down but just put on a fake smile and people go away or I tell them im fine dont like people feeling sorry for me or anything

1 - 20 of 32 Posts