Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes very much so. I feel very small and inconsequential when I meet such people. I literally can't converse with them because they unknowingly make me feel like a nobody.

I also experience this a bit with kids but not as bad, I just don't know what to say to them and I feel they might judge harshly when they found out I'm unemployed.

Actually to be honest I feel anxious among just about anybody these days but it definitely all started with people in authority. I was deadly frightened of teachers for example.

·
Registered
Just fine
34 Posts
Yes. Well I feel quite incompetent and inferior in front of most people who I feel are better placed in society and life in some way - like looks, money, relationships, more socially confident, etc. And that obviously includes most of the authority figures.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Authority can be such a tricky subject. When I was younger I always stuck close to "authority figures" like teachers or scout leaders because I figured that they were supposed to protect me. I never disliked them; quite the opposite, I often idolized them. I often think about how lucky I was to never have encountered an "authority" who abused their power over me while I was still just a dumb kid.

My eyes were finally opened when I was about 19, when I got stuck with a random religious "authority" who had the power to ruin my life -- and actually threatened me with it. As I was sitting in this guy's office being threatened with getting kicked out of school, I finally realized just how arbitrary and illusory his power really was -- he only had "authority" over me because I allowed it. That got me thinking long and hard about the authority we give to people, sometimes without really realizing or understanding it.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that some people actually deserve their authority. Most institutions at least require some training and/or qualifications to be given authority. But some people absolutely do not deserve that kind of power and I think that's very important to recognize. "Religious authority" is such an oxymoron.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
I'm not sure anymore - I don't think I've been around anyone in authority for ages. I don't get anxious around doctors or psychiatrists at all - that's for sure. I've seen too many of them and know all about their short-comings. If anything they have to prove their competence to me nowadays before I trust them.

I don't get anxious around police or people like that - there was one yesterday at the chemist. I've probably been quite lucky though in that they've always treated me well whenever I've had to deal with them.

Also in Australia we're sort of raised to be skeptical about people in authority and to treat them almost irreverently.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
It depends if disobeying the person of authority will have negative outcomes for me. If yes, then yes. If no, then I could probably care less.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not sure if this counts but hate being looked at like I've stolen something from a shop when I haven't. There was an old security guard just staring menacingly once and when I say old I mean old..

·
Registered
769 Posts
I mean these days being anxious is just completely natural for me. It doesn’t matter who I meet I have so far always been completely bottom in terms of social or professional life. I don’t even compare with 99,9% other people because they are all so far ahead of me in all aspects.

·
Searching for something
55 Posts
Not sure if this counts but hate being looked at like I've stolen something from a shop when I haven't. There was an old security guard just staring menacingly once and when I say old I mean old..
Oh god, I feel you on this. People don’t even have to look at me, but anytime I go in a store I feel like they’re all thinking I stole something lol. Especially if i’m leaving empty-handed or if I have my backpack or a big coat with me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Due to my country being notoriously dangerous, I generally feel less anxious if I'm around police or other law enforcement agents. I do feel very irritable around bureaucratic types, though.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I feel the same and feel better and over think and offer them a look in my bag, sometimes detectors go off when i go through and I have not stolen anything., it could have been the batteries I'd bought in a previous shop

Reactions: Lonelygirl1986
1 - 15 of 15 Posts