Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I'm bored I google everyone and their cousin just to see what comes up. I always feel like a loser when I do it but I figure I'm not hurting anyone. It's not like I'm sitting outside people's houses with binoculars. Is it creepy though that I enter addresses in Google Maps and use the satellite view to see what their neighborhood looks like?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Fortunately, I don't know the addresses of anyone I would like to stalk. If I did, not only would I be looking up their neighbourhoods on Google Street View, I would also be making regular trips to their neighbourhood in an effort to accidentally on purpose bump into them. Actually, that would be far too awkward. I probably wouldn't do that.

I don't actually do any cyber stalking other than doing name searches on Facebook and looking at the person's profile picture. If I actually joined Facebook then I'm sure I would be doing a lot more than that. It's precisely why I don't join. I have to control my stalking urges or they will spiral out of control.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
No, I've never done that.

Has anybody checked me out yet? I think I rank as the most easily found member of SAS, seeing how I've given out my full name & city so many times publicly on this board. There are also over 100 members who've seen my phone number. Thus far none have shown up on my doorstep, though it is a listed number and my address can thus can be found fast, free, and easily with a reverse lookup.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I do watch people's profiles on Facebook. There are certain people who's pages I check all of the time and I'll like...click the "Wall to Wall" option to read their conversations. It's just interesting haha. I have used Google Maps to get directions from my house to their house if they put an address up...not because I'm gonna go but just to see how far away they are. I don't feel creepy about anything I do though, haha. I'm genuinely interested! I don't actually do anything with the information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do it, it makes me feel like Im part of something. Facebook, bebo, modelmayhem and twitter. I dont even have a twitter.
And google of course :)

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
Are you kidding? That's all I do! It's bizarre and I agree, you feel like such a loser with no descernable life. God, I've googled the person sitting beside me one or twice just to see what would come up. I do that with a bunch of people and I feel so pathetic.

Actually I'm on my cousin's Facebook account looking at her friend's profiles and experiancing the bliss that comes from actually having an iota of a life. It's really depressing and when I go on I feel so anxious like those people can see that it's not her; just some loser.

I don't cyber-stalk to the point where it gets illegal. Although I could seriously see myself doing that.

I don't know why we do this. For me, I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm so cloistered- I barely know anything about anyone because even though there's some interesting people out there; I'm too scared to say anything to them. I'd rather research them from the confort of my house. Free from the judgement of other people. But I can't completely escape judgement, there's still me judging myself- and that's worse.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
If I actually joined Facebook then I'm sure I would be doing a lot more than that. It's precisely why I don't join. I have to control my stalking urges or they will spiral out of control.
Thank you. That's exactly how I feel but I couldn't put it into words.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have anyone to cyber stalk.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I sometimes stalk my ex boyfriend to see how he's doing. It's not really a creepy, I wish we were still together sort of thing though. More of a I hope he's happy and I wish we still talked so I could know how his life is going type of thing. I really hate going on Facebook and searching through people I sort of know. It depresses me to no end to see how social everyone else is.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Not really. I used MySpace a few years back to find some of my classmates, the ones I was actually friends with, but they weren't on there. Occasionally I still search for them hoping that maybe they'll register. I doubt this could be called cyber stalking.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you kidding? That's all I do! It's bizarre and I agree, you feel like such a loser with no descernable life. God, I've googled the person sitting beside me one or twice just to see what would come up. I do that with a bunch of people and I feel so pathetic.

Actually I'm on my cousin's Facebook account looking at her friend's profiles and experiancing the bliss that comes from actually having an iota of a life. It's really depressing and when I go on I feel so anxious like those people can see that it's not her; just some loser.

I don't cyber-stalk to the point where it gets illegal. Although I could seriously see myself doing that.

I don't know why we do this. For me, I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm so cloistered- I barely know anything about anyone because even though there's some interesting people out there; I'm too scared to say anything to them. I'd rather research them from the confort of my house. Free from the judgement of other people. But I can't completely escape judgement, there's still me judging myself- and that's worse.
Honestly i don't think you or anyone else who does this should feel like a loser at all. I think you'd be surprised by the number of "normal" people that do nothing with their spare time but follow other people's lives on facebook. Most of these people go on to look at the profile of someone they know, and the next thing they know their looking at the profiles of their friends friends friends.

I had a very good friend in high school who was one of the most outgoing people i have ever know and she would constantly google the names of people she knew just to see what would come up. The only reason i know this is because she googled my name and something actually came up that was me (i have an extremely unique name) and she asked me about it for confirmation.

If that behaviour can be considered cyber stalking then half the population of north america would be guilty :)

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I have visited my crush's facebook page quite a few times. That is the extent of my cyber stalking though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I cyber stalk when I have lots of free time. Mostly on facebook. Sometimes I'll google the name. When I really like someone I always want to look at their pictures a lot. Myspace is also great, say if your crush is a musician or something. I always get paranoid that someone's going to find out I've been frequently checking out their pages, and the thought embarrasses me. But in reality, they have lives, so they don't have time/think about people potentially profile stalking them.

And right now I don't have enough time to think about profile stalking people. Though I do things unconciously around the net. It is just one of those things we all do I guess.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I don't consistently stalk people, but occasionally I look up people I knew, roommates, and my cousins. It depresses me too, and makes me anxious.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't have anyone to stalk even if I knew how.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts