Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the point of these holidays---- Halloween, Mother's Day, Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc...? I don't celebrate any holidays. I don't give my parents any gifts just because it's Mothers or Fathers day. I think the reason most people do it is because other people do it. Most of these holidays are just a way to make people waste money and people fall for this trick. One of the stupidest holidays is Thanksgiving. It's like celebrating murder.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree. Money and going along with the crowd.

My family is not religious, we celebrate christmas? I think its more of just a chance for my mother to show her off her cooking than anything else.
Easter to us, is to eat lots of chocolate.
Mothers day is when my mother thinks she deserves presents. She gets pissy when she doesnt get a gift.
Halloween is an American thing so we dont celebrate it, but I think our society is becomming more Americanized and too many kids are now 'Trick or Treating' and they dont have a clue what its all about. I wouldnt let my kids do it, because well.. its not Australian.
I dont celebrate Valentines day, I never understood the reason for this holiday. Why show your love just on this day?
We dont celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia.
I do see the point in having Christmas for the kids. To me, having Christmas is like a celebration of a child innocence and imagination. Let them believe in Santa. Its not going to harm them. But I do want my children to understand that Christmas and Easter to others is a religious day and that it has a different meaning to us.
Id rather celebrate a day that has meaning to me, rather than a religious tradition or an Americanization.
I think there is 2 significant holidays Australia has, ANZAC day (to remember our fallen people in war) and Australia Day.. a day to be patriotic (well thats what it is to me, dont really care when our country was founded). Everything else I couldnt care less about. But I suppose when I have children Ill go along with it all, for the innocence of my children.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
No, I don't. I've been avoiding family holiday get-togethers because I see them as mostly pointless. If I want to spend time with someone, give them gifts, or see them I'm just going to do it because I want to or because I care about them, not for some holiday. Ok, I kinda feel like the grinch writing that...haha...oh well.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
No, but my family does. I try to smile, but my face doesn't always work.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
i kind of like holidays. they give me something to look forward to, even if they are totally commercial and meaningless.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
The 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas are about the only holidays I celebrate with family any more.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
While I think some of the original reasons to celebrate the holidays have changed to fit into todays society, I still think they are good to have. Granted, some people on a site like this for example, probably wouldn't look forward to them, but I think we have to look at it from the perspective of a person who has a normal social life. It gives us something to look forward to, it brings family together, it lets someone you're close to know that they're appreciated and loved, it helps businesses, you get free food and candy, free gifts, and you get an excuse to party if you're into that. Yes, I know there is a flip side to all of those things, but I'm just gonna stay with the positive.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Let them believe in Santa. Its not going to harm them.
Until they find out it's not true and become cynical little ****ers.

Here's a fascinating list of what I do/do not celebrate:

Halloween - no, but I did Trick or Treating a few times when I was a kid.

Valentine's Day - I've never celebrated it because I totally disagree with it (not because I've never had a boyfriend or anything).

Easter - no.

Thanksgiving - N/A

Christmas - yes. I could do without the gift-buying aspect of Christmas, but I enjoy the food. When else do you get to eat that well? I'm not into the Jesus bit either, but you don't really need to be these days. Plenty of my Muslim neighbours celebrate Christmas.

Mother's Day - yes. I got into the habit of this somewhere along the line, and now it'd be awkward to break out of it. I usually buy her some chocolates, but I make my own card. The card companies can **** off all year round.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
A holiday is just another day to me.

The next one coming up is the 4th of July. I wonder what our British friends do on that day? National day of mourning for the beginning of the end for the British empire?:stu

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a wife so yes i'm forced to celebrate holidays even though i'm in the "think it's all about the money" camp. Growing up halloween, thanskgiving and christmas where the big holidays and mostly it was getting together with family and eating food and not at all about the presents. I think that's where I get my present phobia, I feel like I would die of embarassment if I gave someone a present and they thought it was bad. :|

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
There have been something like 800 holidays here in Germany in the past month alone. It would be okay if all the stores didn't close and you didn't have to be aware that the next day is a holiday and to make sure you have enough groceries. (Seriously, is Corpus Christi really that big of a deal? Ascension Day??)

I tried to tell the people that in the US the grocery stores only really close 2.5 days a year, that many are open 24/7, and always open on Sunday and they didn't believe me.

(2.5 days = Christmas, Easter, half of Thanksgiving. Am I forgetting any? There are nine bank holidays though...)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
If you count giving/receiving a few gifts and stuffing my face as celebrating, then yes. I don't have much of a choice due to family.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I celebrate nothing. When I used to work at a place that opened 24/365, I volunteered for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving because it was triple pay and I get a paid comp day off. Got paid extra and did very little work; I miss those days. I can tell you when Christmas is and that's about it. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's, Thanksgiving (other than in November), Memorial, family members' birthdays...no clue. Only one I did as a kid was Halloween (which I don't see many people celebrating anymore) and that was for the free munchies.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,031 Posts
I think the principle behind may holidays is often nice but what we've molded them into isn't.

Halloween - is a nice time to dress up & be silly. Though we're far from it's origins these day I did partake in trick or treating when younger & think a dress up gathering is pretty laid back for all if you ever head to one

Mother's/Father's Day - is a good reason to call your folks & say hi, I'm not sure about the gift factor, I don't partake but a little something small seems alright to me as well

Christmas - as a religious holiday has really lost out to commerce & I'm not really a fan of the whole "present your debt" scheme myself. We've not done presents in my home for so long that I find it somewhat uncomfortable should anyone get me something. As a time of gathering for good food I think it's brilliant, people really dust off their cooking skills for it

Valentine's Day - pisses me off because if you care for someone you'll treat them of your own accord rather than await a day in which you're told to do so. I think it why you get toss of a coin reactions, this day is detrimental to half the couples out there. The idea of love being celebrated by many on one day is good in theory minus the commerce aspect

National Holiday's - are a nice time to be patriotic, it puts people in good spirits & all you need is a flag

If I want to spend time with someone, give them gifts, or see them I'm just going to do it because I want to or because I care about them, not for some holiday. Ok, I kinda feel like the grinch writing that...haha...oh well.
I agree, do things because you care over cultural tradition. That not to say you can't use cultural tradition as a time to show you care just that doing so outside of them seems more personal to me

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm very much into symbolism so yes I think some holidays are worth it all. Others, not so much. Holidays are tradition so why argue.

Xmas: Yes. I enjoy this very much as it is basically a pagan celebration. Jesus wasn't born on the 25th, it was moved to that date to accomodate the feasts of Roman pagans to gain more converts. Happy Dies Natalis Solis Invicti everyone!
I get a big kick out of seeing bits of pagan traditions implemented (mistletoe, christmas trees, so on).

Halloween: My favorite. I'm a prankster, back in high school it was shaving cream and chicken bones in people's mailboxes. I have this mask that freaks a lot of people out now so I like wearing that.
And low price candy is nice.

V-Day: No. But there's candy.

Mother's/Fathers day: Bit of a drag. I never know what to do.

Easter: Candy! And Happy Osatara! (Pagan fertility ritual thats the reason for the bunnies and eggs).

Thanksgiving: Meh. Boring. I prefer going to a restaurant.

4th of July: Its fun. Fireworks esp since I live near D.C

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
If you count giving/receiving a few gifts and stuffing my face as celebrating, then yes. I don't have much of a choice due to family.
Same here. I'm forced to "celebrate" with my family since I still live with my parents, and I only exchange gifts with them because it's part of what they consider celebrating the holiday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts