Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is a major problem of mine. I tend to think about the past and get depressed.

I will remember the microaggressions and disrespect I've experienced.

The pathetic thing is that I don't have other things to focus on so I think about the past.
Same here, it’s like it’s my main focus

·
Registered
94 Posts
No but I find it’s more an unconscious thing with me so I might project towards people a reaction that’s disproportionate to the situation beacause somehow I must be basing it on the past . The only time I do it consciously is when I’m trying to resolve conflict in the present so I’m anxiously overanalysing everything previous.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I used to have recurring intrusive thoughts of the many times I've been bullied, humiliated or embarrassed myself, but years of being mostly reclusive (and thus not accumulating fresh wounds) have made it all better.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,706 Posts
In general no, but there are bursts of time where it happens. It just is not a constant thing for me though. Usually, I am not struggling with what other people have said or done to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Even worse, sometimes it's the stuff I've said or done while I was drunk and being a jerk will resurface. I think I need to heal the past and maybe it won't interfere with my SA so much.
Hi, yeah I worry about this mostly. In fact I've been lucky. Most people in my life have been okay - to be fair to them, at least considering how much of a potential target for abuse I am.

Most of what I ruminate over now is the old me acting drunk or in an irresponsible or cringeworthy way and causing my own problems. I've done and said some absolutely stupid things that still keep me awake at night.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,333 Posts
I used to ruminate a lot when I was younger. Over time I learned to let it go. Sometimes I reflect a moment after I make a blunder or something triggers me but I let it go the moment it becomes unconstructive, like if I start beating myself up over it and come back to the present by refocusing on what's right in front of me. Meditation has helped a lot with learning how to let go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m more struggling with words I said in the past against other people than the other way around. Did I say it right, did I make a fool out of myself? Stuff like that.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts