Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of my peers are all out, happy and partying. And here I am...lonely and sad, and I hate to admit it.. but things might be this way for the rest of my high school life. I know this might sound stupid. But I was wondering if maybe us SA folks get any advantage over everyone else? I know that everyone goes through pain(SA or not), but I guess I just find it hard to believe people are enjoying their lives in every situation where I dont.

·
serious
340 Posts
As far as I know, most people with a mental illness of some form are usually more intelligent than 'regular people". (generalisation)

Whether this is an advantage when we are left alone with ourselves, I don't know.

·
HeavyDirtySøul
5,969 Posts
Um, perscription drugs?

Lol just kidding.. in all seriousness I really cant think of anything. Well in general most people with SA are more sympathetic towards others. But not everyone, so I dont think that counts. Maybe that we avoid very dramatic people, and tend not to get caught up in drama? Just a thought. I like this thread though, its a good idea.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
People with SA sometimes tend to be smarter than other people. However, I would give up my smarts to not have SA and depression.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
People with SA tend to be rational thinkers and more logical than ones who act out on impulse. We'll look at a situation more carefully, make a few assumptions before jumping into something.

Some have empathy moreso than regular people. We relate to a lot of different situations, some we've even experienced and know how to get out of them as well.

These are mostly generalisations so...

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I don't know...I get the feeling I take things in, my perceptions are waaay different than most.

I'm 41 yrs old, & I see my SA getting worse every year. It's been well over 10 yrs since I set foot into a club or a bar, I find it hard just to go to the store or mailbox sometimes. But I think there may be some advantages, maybe that's not the word I'd use to describe it, maybe just...differences, some good, some not so good. Without trying to sound too emo or anything, I think I feel things differently, maybe too much, maybe I'm just too sensitive. Just speaking for myself.

As an example, I can't do the whole one-night stand thing, I've had opportunities, I just can't get involved in something like that. I've done it once in my life, like 20 yrs ago. I get too attached. The whole thing screws my head up. I end up obsessing.

I think it's hard to analyze yourself though. Try to go easy on yourself. Trying to figure out what's going on in your head, can be like a dentist trying to work on their own teeth. It's all about perspective I think.

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
HEAT VISION!

Anyway...don't worry too much about your high school life. The social side of it doesn't shape your future.

·
The way out is through.
171 Posts
I think we're generally more self-reliant, emotionally at least. Some people I know need constant companionship throughout the day, but I can be alone for days because I'm used to it. I see that as a strength.

Also, with all the time we spend not socializing, we can read books, watch movies, and gain knowledge/wisdom in other ways.

Turd polished. :)

526 Posts
I think its partially wrong to think of the advantages of having SA since this may lead to cognitive dissonance. However, you can think of it in a more general perspective like "what don't kill you makes you stronger" or that sort. bleh I don't make any sense.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As far as I know, most people with a mental illness of some form are usually more intelligent than 'regular people". (generalisation)
I was also going to say this also.
I think we are more aware of things, and how things in life work.. if that makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Drama dosnt affect us, well it dosnt affect me becuse i dont really socialize with alot of ppl. I think thats one good advantage. No drama.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Two words: free time.

If you can find the motivation, you have the time on your hands to get wicked sick at something. In High School I spent a couple years honing my skills as a tromboner. :no Be wiser than I, bro.

In the illustrious words of a most sagacious man:

Turd polished. :)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Generally, I would say those with Mental Illnesses are a lot more human if thats the right word. Can tap into emotional problems easier and have a greater understanding of the human condition than someone who hasn't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More time for other things like for checking out really good books, movies and music, getting certifications and getting advanced degrees for career advancement. Just developing yourself in other ways. Not having to waste time and money waiting for other people to do something, eating at lousy restaurants because they like it or being dragged along to do something we don't like. And hearing less BS on the daily basis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts