Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who does this... but I NEVER admit to anyone I like them (because I fear they won't like me back). This would put me in a very vulnerable position.

I NEVER admit to my bestie that I like her and other girls I like them. I'd NEVER, NEVER admit to guy I like him EVER. In fact, I usually pretend to the guy I REALLY like that I REALLY HATE him just to throw him off the scent.

WOW, why is my life soooo complicated?

·
Ready to conquer
36 Posts
I have a boyfriend for three years now to which I often say I love him, but after three years that's a good thing, right? hehe.

When people say they really like me or compliment me I mostly don't comment back or I just send them a heart or something not-personal because I don't know what to say. Will I look all jersey-shore-a-like if I tell them I love/like them? Perhaps I will sound soppy or mellow. But the friends i have are old friends (over three to four years) so by now they understand when I just say 'I don't know how to respond to that, you know that' and they just laugh it off and say 'i know you love me, no need to force yourself into saying it'.

So, perhaps my situation is a lot easier than yours - my life wasn't so controlled by SAD a few years ago and those people stayed in my life until it did, and they accepted it. When I meet new people now I just say 'I'm not very good at this, is that ok for you?' and they usually just say it's ok. You could try that too, and if they don't accept that, they are not meant to be a friend anyway - friend take you whole, with your imperfections :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
i openly admit if i like someone

cos how much i like them isnt contingent on them liking me back

i can still like someone if they dont like me, so i'm not afraid of being vulnerable

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
With friends I can say I like them, but that can go unsaid. If I didn't, they wouldn't be friends. More than that I've done it once, didn't go well, with that being an understatement. But I don't regret it, it was one of my biggest achievements and it took a lot from me to do it. I wish it was easier too. I've never been able to do it or just act on it, which obviously has consequences. I'm very sensitive to rejection of any kind, which is one of the many things I have to work on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Am I the only one who does this... but I NEVER admit to anyone I like them (because I fear they won't like me back). This would put me in a very vulnerable position.

I NEVER admit to my bestie that I like her and other girls I like them. I'd NEVER, NEVER admit to guy I like him EVER. In fact, I usually pretend to the guy I REALLY like that I REALLY HATE him just to throw him off the scent.

WOW, why is my life soooo complicated?
I've long done the same thing, but now I realize this does more harm than good.

I think it's fear of vulnerability and fear of rejection that cause us to do this.

But on the flip side, telling people this can really open doors. I've found they will usually look at you more positively than negatively.

For the vulnerability part- you can flip that to your advantage.

My advice - try it. You may be surprised ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I did once. But very rarely do I ever really like someone in that way, so I don't have to worry about telling someone.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
It seems that whenever I like someone (platonically), and I tell them so, they promptly disappear from my life. :/ So it's grown very difficult for me to express my appreciation toward others since it feels like if I do I'm jinxing things. For this reason I come across as quite ungrateful. :sigh

When I like someone romantically? They will never, ever, EVER hear it from me. :no

·
Registered
224 Posts
At this point I don't even admit to myself I like someone. Just disappear from the girl before she disappears from me (sigh). It's not all bad though usaully to distract myself from my feelings I go hard to better myself in my career field

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
I've fessed up to liking someone several times, more when I was younger (in my teens and early 20's). I figured I always had a 50/50 shot of not being rejected.

Sometimes I was rejected and that sucked. Sometimes I wasn't. I always tried to not care when being rejected with the understanding that not everyone is going to like me.

The very last time I told someone I liked him was about 5 years ago and he was one of my best friends. That.... did not turn out well. Our relationship was never the same.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Most girls have rejected me in a very nice.. polite way. I'm thinking about giving it a second go on a certain girl.

Might as well, before they get engaged to someone

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do so, if I found it appropriate. If I'm asked, I'd likely confess.
I wouldn't simply broadcast... or maybe I would. It's not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts