Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do u binge?

6K views 82 replies 66 participants last post by  Dying note 
#1 ·
As in eat excessively? I do that like all the time, especially when I am unhappy. Food brings comfort. Yes, I know I shouldn't be doing this. It is bad for my health, blah, blah, blah. But I simply can't help it. I mean if I could, than maybe I won't be an overweight person. Do u?

#2 ·
Yes, I binge to cope with anxiety but also when I am lonely, sad, scared etc. I have what is called 'binge eating disorder'. I have had it for many years. I have better periods but right now I have been doing it every day for the last few weeks. I am going through a very stressful time right now and when I do I binge more often.

#5 ·
Instead of eating, I basically starve myself when I feel anxious. When I'm anxious I feel very nauseated, so I won't touch food (or maybe have a small amount) until I feel better.

Other then that, I'm stuck on a high fibre diet from my doctor anyways (not weight related though).

#6 ·
I tend to binge when I'm upset. It's a sort of uncomfortable topic- as many (simplistic) people interpret binging as gluttony.
as with JonnyEnnui, though on a significantly more minor level- if I'm (depressed anxious angry insecure frustrated etc) I can't eat sensible portions and therefore go unhealthy periods of time without food.

Also, if anyone has noticed… fat is one of the most effective social deterrents.

#9 ·
JohnnyEnnui said:
dust said:
as many (simplistic) people interpret binging as gluttony. as with JonnyEnnui
That's not what I said, at all.
that's not what I said you said! :b
I said in response to your;
I could not just eat a couple of cookies, for instance - it was either none or the whole bag - so, I just restricted my intake altogether.
"as with JonnyEnnui, though on a significantly more minor level- if I'm (depressed anxious angry insecure frustrated etc) I can't eat sensible portions and therefore go unhealthy periods of time without food. "

I'm just a grammar dunce. k? k.

#10 ·
Yes. Putting lots of candy in front of me is like putting a bottle of whisky in front of an alcoholic. It won't lead to a good outcome.

It's best for me to stay away from all-you-can-eat places since I take it as a personal challenge, with my goal being to bankrupt them.

#34 ·
Yes. Putting lots of candy in front of me is like putting a bottle of whisky in front of an alcoholic. It won't lead to a good outcome.
I had to ask my coworker about 10 or more times to quit bringing bowls of chocolates in. I told her "it's very nice of you to be so considerate but I literally can't stop myself". I told her about my history with eating disorders and my compulsive nervous/bored eating.
She would stop for a couple of weeks and then bring the sweets back in. Finally I had a guy from another department take the bowl with him to hide it during my shift.
After that, she stopped doing it. ;)

#11 ·
yes, i binge. it all started in high school as an effort to lose weight. i lost a lot of weight, but i was unhealthily thin. gained it back the first year in college due to binge eating. now i pretty much binge one day and restrict the next. so i maintain my weight but it is so unhealthy and i just don't feel in control of what i eat at all. i don't even think it is related to my anxiety. more it is related to being afraid to gain weight because i don't want to be overweight. so i am always on a diet, but the diet backfires and i binge eat on every kind of junk food imaginable. so it is probably related to having a low self esteem.

G
#12 ·
QuietCoral said:
now i pretty much binge one day and restrict the next. so i maintain my weight but it is so unhealthy
Me too... Except that my "days" might be a day or a week or a month one way or the other. Sometimes I'll be ridiculously healthy (and remember all of the stuff I have learnt about nutrition, training etc etc), and be that way for a couple of weeks, and then feel the need to eat crap and do that for a while. If I'm feeling down, it's more likely to be crap food that I choose.

For me, sometimes food can be almost as comforting as music, except at least music isn't physically unhealthy!

BelieveSomething.

#13 ·
believesomething said:
Sometimes I'll be ridiculously healthy (and remember all of the stuff I have learnt about nutrition, training etc etc), and be that way for a couple of weeks, and then feel the need to eat crap and do that for a while. If I'm feeling down, it's more likely to be crap food that I choose.BelieveSomething.
Same here. I have been on those 'healthy periods' where I exercise everyday & eat healthy. & one day, I just crash & stop all exercise & eat all sorts of junk. :fall Even when I am full, I eat. :roll

G
#14 ·
Fighter86 said:
& one day, I just crash & stop all exercise & eat all sorts of junk. :fall Even when I am full, I eat. :roll
I once heard a nutrionist / phd student or something similar on the radio talking about this very fact, that impulse to just break the diet / healthy eating period & go nuts. She said it was natural - a hormonal / chemical response or similar, and that we should just let ourselves do it, and then go back to the healthy eating again the next day. I wish I'd caught her name, I would have loved to have read the study she was doing. I also wish I could put her theory into practise (it's the going back to healthy the next day I normally struggle with :) ).

BelieveSomething.

#15 ·
believesomething said:
we should just let ourselves do it, and then go back to the healthy eating again the next day. I also wish I could put her theory into practise (it's the going back to healthy the next day I normally struggle with :) ).

BelieveSomething.
I have actually succedded in doing such a thing. But within days of doing it, I crumble again, unable to pick myself up. In fact, I am now at one of those 'crumble periods'. I have ben having Macdonalds fries for the past 4 days or so, along with other assortments of junk food. :popcorn God help me...

G
#16 ·
Maybe we need to kick off a SAS 12 week challenge or similar, see how many people would be willing to motivate each other to get healthy for a period of time?. Maybe I'll start a thread on this in Nutrition & Exercise...

BelieveSomething.

#18 ·
yes I binge.........Not "when" rather all the time it seems..........It IS a habit.........I've had "eating disorders" but this is harder than heck to beat.....I know carbs do set me off!

I also KNOW I feel better when I eat properly, one would think..........That's what I would do........

#19 ·
Mega Bump. I use to binge and felt like I didnt have any control to the point of making myself feel physically sick. not good for my general health, so I stopped and just have an energy drink to compensate for carbohydrate cravings.

#22 ·
I love to binge, but not often. I have done so on holidays. I never threw it up unless I had too much, which was twice in my life (I had 2 dinners on Easter Sunday once). Most people that see me think I have an eating disorder. I could never put myself through that. It's just meaningless and unloving towards your body. :roll

#24 ·
I use to, I'd eat too much when I'd get very depressed then get depressed because I ate so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.