sluggish speech or poverty of speech
flight of ideas
struggling to find words
rapid thought pattern
difficulty maintaining focus and attention

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well I have all of those symptoms. I think the most important thing is do you experience these symptoms in social situations? If yes then it's probably SA. I would also talk to a therapist as they will be much better able to verify what it is.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think all of these symptoms could potentially be explained by anxiety, but they could be other things as well.

Flight of ideas and rapid speech could indicate mania or hypomania. Struggling to find words and difficulty maintaining focus can be a number of things, including anxiety, ADD, depression, and mania, like the above poster said. Poverty of speech can indicate psychosis depending on its severity but other symptoms like loose associations and nonsensical speech are more reliable indicators (I assume you have already looked some of this up.)

Although all of these symptoms you mention may precede psychosis (the "prodrome" phase), I don't think any one of them in itself is actually indicative of psychosis, unless of course you have had a psychotic episode in the past..... if you have ever had a psychotic episode, then the symptoms you mention could be part of the prodrome phase. Did these symptoms come on suddenly or gradually?

You really would have to see a doctor. The doctor can infer a lot of information from your demeanor, your speech patterns, and by asking you specific questions, much more than a bunch of laymen on the internet. :)

If you are on medication, they could be side effects and you should report them as soon as possible. Particularly if you are on an SSRI, they could explain flight of ideas and rapid speech, since that reaction happens to a certain percentage of people.

I've had two psychotic episodes in the past where I had to be medicated, and there is a definite gradual "prodrome" phase where I start to lose concentration, stress becomes unbearable, I have insomnia, depression, a whole host of symptoms. They are not reliable indicators of future psychosis though unless you have had a history of psychosis. So I wouldn't get too worked up if you have never had a psychotic break before. They are definitely symptoms of something though, symptoms of some disorder that can't be diagnosed via the internet. :)

Take care.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like when my ADHD was worse.

but thats a hard one to diagnose since its so overdiagnosed. id see a neurologist and get an eeg if you have sa since ive heard many times they come together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts