Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Anything that creates motivation to move you in the direction you want to go is always worth while. Self-help books are good for this, but it doesn't have to come from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From Prisons 2 Millions Self Help Book

I was diagnosed with depression and was close to committing suicide. Guys say I am a very attractive woman but I was always secretly depressed and hated life until I read this book. It's by far the best self help book I have seen and I have read most of them. The book talks about dealing with overcoming any type of fear. The writer talks about his life and how prison was. He also talks about being released from prison to becoming a multi millionaire. I was really pleased with this book. I brought it on Amazon and read it every day now just to recap and keep my spirits up. Depression can be cured and I am the epitome of this. Thanks for reading my post

·
Registered
370 Posts
"The Power Of Now" by Eckhart Tolle is an amazing eye opener into getting to understand compulsive thoughts, negative thinking, restlessness etc... In a nutshell - it awakens you.

·
⊙﹏⊙
299 Posts
Self-help books only help those who already want to be helped, that believe they can be helped and that are open for new possibilities to be helped.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe they can. I believe that mental problems are just incorrect thought processes and beliefs reinforced over years. And self help books guide your mind into the reality. It takes an open mind, willingness to learn, and consistence but of you are determined it can be done. Granted im sure some books try to take advantage of people, but there are good ones out there to weed through. Thats what reviews are for :).

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have bought several self help books and none of them really changed my life. At first I would buy the general self help books like "psycho-cybernetics", "The Power of the Subconscious mind", "Feel the fear and do it anyway", and "Think and Grow Rich". And I would try what they said but not with much effort or commitment and nothing noticeable would happen.

Then I started buying books about anxiety and depression. So far I have read "Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your life", "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns, "Undoing Depression" by Richard O'connor, and I just finished reading "A Guide to Rational Living" by Albert Ellis.

At first I try doing some of the exercises in them but I don't do them consistently and when I do they don't seem to work very well. For example I did two exercises out of "The Feeling Good Handbook", one for procrastination and one for depression, and they didn't seem to help at all so I didn't try anymore.

So what I am wondering is: Should I keep buying self-help books and trying them? I am thinking about buying more of a workbook and really committing to doing the exercises.

Or should I just try traditional therapy and medication? I've been to a counselor and a psychologist about 2 or 3 times but they didn't really seem to help and it is really expensive.
Of the books you've mentioned, I've read "Psycho-Cybernetics", "Think and Grow Rich", and "The Feeling Good Handbook".
I've read many more books that didn't seem to help much.
The only book series that significantly helped me with my social anxiety is Overcoming anxiety step-by-step. It comes with tapes as well, but I think they have now turned this into an online subscription service.
"The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" & "How to win friends and influence people" helped me as well

·
Administrator
9,117 Posts
Note: This is an old thread that was brought back by a spammer who was advertising something in here. Most of the people who posted aren’t active on SAS anymore and might not see quotes or mentions.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey
21 - 30 of 30 Posts