Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

do you think psychologists really understand socialphobia?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
There's no absolute yes or no to that because it's subjective. Social anxiety is still a relatively 'new' disorder that maybe psychiartrists/psychologists/GP doctors don't know too much about. Some specialize in anxiety disorders, most don't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They do not understand it at all. There are some out there that do, but it's got to be a rare thing. It seems like the only way to really beat SA is to take charge of your own recovery instead of wasting time with a therapist that doesn't help. I mean if the therapist doesn't help either find another one or make your own plan for recovery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some Psychologists do understand SA pretty well and some don't. I've seen many shrinks and many act like "well just be more socialable" but some actually understand the trouble and pains of it and have a decent idea on how to help people learn to overcome.

Call it whatever you will but I have yet to meet a shrink that works independantely or in a private hospital that knows wtf they are talking about. However with my experience in Veterans Hospitals a very large number of shrinks their seem to have a pretty good clue and understanding. What I deduced if its right or wrong is to many just want that huge $300 hr paycheck for their services and those who actually want to help and care tend to work for federal / veterans hospitals where the pay isn't as good but the need is high.

VA Hospitals for the win woowoo

·
Registered
233 Posts
geek said:
No. I spent 3 years as a psych major and I don't remember the textbook or the prof ever talking about SA. They talked about shyness, but nothing about SA.
How long ago was that? I've just begun my second year as a psych major and my Abnormal Psych text has dedicated five pages just to SA. The prof has mentioned it a few times and we even covered it a bit last year in the intro class (with a different prof).

·
Registered
706 Posts
I voted no but only because I don't believe you can understand something you don't really have. That doesn't mean they're useless, of course. Well, maybe some are...

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I said yes, but I should have chosen the other one. I think it is there for the understanding, but not taken in by all trained professionals. I sound like a Trident commercial - 4 out of 5 psychologists... :lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
My experience has been that most mental health professionals really do not understand SA. The only therapist I met who understood it was someone who had also experienced it. I really think it is one of those things that is hard to understand if you haven't experienced it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't think anyone, psychologist or not, understands SA unless they've gone through the horror of it themselves.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes, they understand it as far as what it is. I'm not so sure many of them understand how to treat it effectively, most particularly the severe forms of SA.

Psychiatrists only seem to understand how to dispense medication when it comes to dealing with SA.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It depends on the person. I had one who tried to help me but she didn't really get it. I have one who is very understanding and she is very helpful. I don't get the feeling that she doesn't get it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Psychologists ? Maybe weaker forms of anxiety can be treated by them.

But if you have severe generalized social phobia, it's up to the psychiatrist.

And no, they DO NOT understand how it feels cause they never been thorugh it, they only can imagine how it's like, or compare it to they'r phobia, if they have one, but that's all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.