Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't like animals

Votes: 2 4.3%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does owning a pet help you with SA and/or other things you are suffering from? Feel free to talk about your experiences here. :)

I think getting a cat would help me...but we aren't allowed to have them in this apartment. :/ I have a snake, but it doesn't really help.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes pets can help, I've read that even just petting/being around them can lower your blood pressure and theirs as well. Also your it can help strengthen your immunity to disease and colds.

Pets, especially dogs also increase your chances of having positive interactions with strangers. I have 2 dogs, a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, and a Maremma Sheepdog and people (especially children) always want to pet them when we take them for walks. I've even had buff builders ask me questions about them...animals are a good ice-breaker.

When I feel down sometimes I'll go outside and play with them or give them a cuddle and they make me feel better.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I have a snake, but it doesn't really help.
omg cool! I love snakes. Would love to get one of those albino corn snakes -- they're so pretty! What kind do you have?

To answer your question, I'm not sure if having a pet helps with SA itself. They do help with the stress and loneliness, tho. Maybe you could get a small animal like a couple of rabbits or guinea pigs. Some apartments which don't allow dogs and cats still allow cage pets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
omg cool! I love snakes. Would love to get one of those albino corn snakes -- they're so pretty! What kind do you have?

To answer your question, I'm not sure if having a pet helps with SA itself. They do help with the stress and loneliness, tho. Maybe you could get a small animal like a couple of rabbits or guinea pigs. Some apartments which don't allow dogs and cats still allow cage pets.
Hmm...never thought about a rabbit. I'll think about it. :) Things like guinea pigs, hamsters, mice and rats aren't allowed here, but rabbits should be.

I have a normal type cornsnake. He's cute and doesn't bite, but it's difficult to cuddle a snake. :b

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I voted No, but I'm probably more in between Yes and No.

One thing pets are definitely good for: When you're around them with other people and conversation starts to run dry, you can ALWAYS turn it onto the pet.

Me, I've lived with pets all my life. They're OK for companionship, but they're also high maintenance. Personally, I don't think the two balance each other out.. but that's just me. I have a 13-year-old cat and when she goes, that's it. No more pets. I love my cat and I like other people's pets.. but no more for me!

I think getting a cat would help me...but we aren't allowed to have them in this apartment.
What are they going to do about it and how are they going to find out? Don't let that be your only barrier.

·
Renewed Hope
354 Posts
Animals do comfort me and stuff but they dont help me get over SA. They are nice to have around if I'm feeling good or bad. I love my turtle :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dogs are all about unconditional love -- that's gotta be good for any human being. Unfortunately I can't take my dogs everywhere or they might be more helpful with my SA. They oughta allow handicap dogs for SA -- let people with SA take 'em to school, on job interviews, to work and the store -- I think it would be helpful to me. Plus people would want to know what your handicap was, so you'd have to tell 'em and it would be out in the open -- it would be less stressful than attempting to fake normal all the time, and people would learn about SA. SA would be better understood and we'd get along better in the world . . . . :O}

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I like cats because they're less of a hassle to take care of, but they're still loving pets.

And yes, pets help. A lot.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I think that they can be a crutch. Someone who loves you unconditionally even if you're a psychotic mess. Someone to talk to when we can't stand being near anyone else. Unfortunately they won't tell us what we sometimes need to hear. "Get out of the house and go do something!"

·
Registered
811 Posts
I put no. That's because without companionship from people or anything I have developed strong Separation Anxiety Disorder toward my cat and dog. I hate leaving them for long periods (overnight or longer) and hate being too far away from them so that I can't return to them quickly. They are my only reason for living. If they were to die then so would I.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Well my dog has been a tremendous help to me and will be for as long as I have her. She gets me out of the house, on long walks, people approach and want to pet her because she is a good looking friendly dog. I love having her companionship. DOGS RULE!!!!!!!!! I would have a dog though, SA or not. I just love dogs. There is a maintenance factor but you can make that argument for just about anything. I dont mind, her companionship means a lot to me.

·
calm
264 Posts
nah, they want to eat, crap and be taken care of. if i wanted that I would get myself a girlsfriend

i am kidding, just kidding get hold of yourself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts