Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
A Mountain With Wings
2,713 Posts
I wouldn't say people think I am a criminal, but it seems like people get suspicious because of the nervousness I sometimes exhibit in public. I use to be good at hiding the anxiety, but it slips out from time to time. I think style of dress and appearance has a lot to do with it too. The pissed off vibe friends say I give off, while wearing a black hoodie with sweat pants doesn't seem to help matters :no lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sometimes in shops, security guards seem to be watching me. I don't steal though so I don't care much. I guess I do behave kind of shifty because I'm always wondering if theres someone I know around who might try to strike up a conversation. But I find that people are generally wrapped up in themselves and dont smile at people they dont know in the street very much. Its one of the things I hate about society. Like, no one will sit next to anyone on the bus, they'll always fill the empty seats first. Maybe its not you, is them lol

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I was thinking of posting a similar topic on this, lol. People back in high school used to tell me i had a "serial killer" look or just looked angry/depressed all the time :/

I kinda feel i get singled out sometimes when i go out in stores and stuff.

the other day for example i was in a music store with my sister just looking at guitars and stuff, so we left my sister and some guys just walk past the guard, we all had bags but for some reason i get my bag checked no one else. Same with the train guards always check me.

Another time a friend and i were in a store a few years back, and he overheard a retail salesperson talk to another employee telling him to "check his bag" because he looks "suspicious" referring to me obviously.

ugh, i just hate it when i get singled out, just makes me feel like crap, pretty much the reason i do most of my shopping online these days.

·
Registered
146,656 Posts
About the surveillance cameras, I have always said that "if they are there to catch people doing things wrong, then they can also catch people NOT doing things wrong!" :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I can't say I've ever thought that people consider me to be a criminal. I've had insults and people kicking me as they've gone by but I've never felt that the reason people walk across the street is because of me. If anything, I'm the one who crosses the street simply to avoid other people.

However, a couple of weeks ago, a female colleague at work asked me if I was gay. Now there's a question to throw you off guard. She judged I was gay because I work for the NHS (apparently there are a fair few gay men around in the NHS, not that it's something i think about or have anything against, people are entitled to live how they want and it's not for me to judge them in any way) and because I have no girlfriend.

I said that I was not gay and she seemed a little surprised by that. Then it turned in to a bit of a lecture from her that I must be extremely choosy and picky about the type of woman I want to be with combined with her telling me that I shouldn't be.

Let's just say that I didn't mention the fact that the reason I don't have anyone is due to how I perceive myself and that I don't consider myself good enough for anyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It might all be in my head, but I do seem to attract unwanted stares from people looking at me like I'm insane or something. Not criminal per say....but crazy maybe. And I don't know why, I don't think I'm strange looking....normally dress casual...jeans/tee...i do have some tattoos. Oh well...the stares kinda freak me out sometimes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't think so but one time this woman at an ATM Machine actually stopped what she was doing, ejected her card and let me go before her. After I'd finished she kept looking over her shoulder to make sure I wasn't there, she must have thought I wanted to rob her or something. Although there are some Albanian/Eastern European gangs in the area so maybe she thought I was one of them. Perhaps she was simply crazy. :stu

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know this is a weird question.

When I get the courage to walk outside I always get normal people who don't know me,afraid of me.I mean,I walk down the streets and people avoid looking at me in the eye and I see their faces get "terrified".And sometimes,people cross the street so they cannot walk past me.I look 100% normal.I weak jeans,a black t-shirt,and a blue-ish jacket.My hair is fine.I am little above avarage in height (6ft2).People who know me don't think I'm scary or anyhting,but have always told me that I look like a criminal,a rapist or a drug dealer lol.This kinda offends me.I think the reason why this is,be cause m face always looks like extremley pissed off and angry.Even my neutral face looks "evil".And I want people to befriend me and like me,not to think I'll do them wrong.:(
Are you a non-White?

I am not White. And I've noticed only White people get scared, not other Non-Whites.

They always think you're gonna rape them or rob them by the ATM.

·
i aten't dead
1,575 Posts
I don't think I look like a criminal, except to the old ladies who are terrified of me when I wear a hoody (LOL).
But I do know I look kinda shifty when I walk past security guards, I always feel sooo guilty when I go past a guard, or through a metal bleeper thing, even if I've done nothing wrong... I don't know why though.

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
lol all the freaking time.

Just walking to school I get stopped, questioned, and harnessed by the cops. But everyone in my small little town looks like there involved with something, I just carry about a gram of weed and a pipe in my sock. I've had numerous people approach me asking for drugs, I just give them the phone number to drug dealers I know.

·
Banned
553 Posts
No, am too girly to look criminal. However i always strangely feel like one haha i mean like if someone steals something, i feel like i stole it and all of a sudden feel guilty and suspicious. My fear is getting wrongly convicted of some ish though.

I feel bad though i went running in the park near my house couple days ago, as i was walking home i seen thise dude in the street, so i walked to my house and sat outside, i saw him walking my way and literally got up and ran fumbling to open door. He just laughed at my stupidity of judging him, but hey i was scared lol!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts