Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think with my social anxiety I can come across as arrogant to other people. My quietness and not bothering with other people may seem rude and uncaring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, sometimes I hope people think of me like that, because it means that...

A) They don't think I have SA, and

B) They won't try to approach me.

Not a healthy approach though.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If they don't know me. Then yes. People who know me well tell other people I don't mean to be rude, and that I'm actually a nice person. ~L~

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess they do.

a) arrogant
b) cold
c) weird
d) boring

Arrogance is usually a sign of weakness and it only matters how it appears to others not if you actually are.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Same here, I'm also from a nice part of town so that apparently makes me posh which isn't easy to seperate from being stuck up at the best of times.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've been called a snob all the time, usually by people I hardly know from school and where I live. And even by complete strangers. I just hate it when they smile at me and say Hi to me or call my name and I don't even know them so I just act like I didn't hear nor see them, lol. But sometimes I'd say Hi and smile back. It depends on my mood.

I just don't wanna deal with people I don't know cos I just don't know what to say and I'm pretty shy, uncomfortable and really self conscious around people I hardly talk to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think with my social anxiety I can come across as arrogant to other people. My quietness and not bothering with other people may seem rude and uncaring.
People totally react to me as if I'm an *******. It just corroborates my belief that public awareness of Social Anxiety is low. Otherwise they might consider this a possible explanation, rather than jump to the conclusion that I'm arrogant.

Mainly I get this reaction in customer service situations, like with a cashier. Or where I'm supposed to offer a greeting, or say thank you. Either I don't, or it doesn't come across as genuine. From that point on, I'm "that *******". Lol.

But more often I think I come across as sullen or dour. Particularly from my facial expression and appearance. Either that or that I look angry.

This is the biggest problem I face is that because I have not cultivated my "Self", it's sort of atrophied into something else. I haven't developed a social persona, and appearance to match. It's sort of like having a speech impediment from a brain injury. You can still think just as well but the words come out slow and "retarded" sounding. The body is not what I am, but it is what most people judge me (us) by...

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I get this reaction all the time. Even more than people assuming I'm anxious or shy...it's easier for them to assume that because I'm not talking to them or making eye contact, I must think I'm better than they are. :roll My own mother has called my lack of eye contact "ignorant."

I've even gotten this reaction a few times on this very forum. (Yep...other socially anxious people assuming I'm stuck up!) It didn't matter how many times I made it clear I'm painfully anxious, nor that I put this info on my profile page...I guess it was easier for those few users to keep believing I'm a snob. Their choice. I'd rather not be friends with somebody who thinks so little of me.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Yeah there quite a few people who think I don't talk to them because they think I think I'm too good for them... baffling really :/

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I've never been told that but my mother has. When she was younger people thought that she was stuck up when it was her shyness that caused her to not talk to people that much.
She told me that her sister-inlaw and her husband would tell people that she was stuck up when they knew that she was shy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I worry about this all the time and I'm sure that quite a lot of people who have encountered me that thought of me in that way. It's incredibly upsetting because nobody that knows me well would ever say any of those things about me, quite the opposite in fact.
One a few occasions where I've sensed that my manner is making someone feel uncomfortable I've just outright said to them that I'm incredibly shy and it's not that I dislike anyone and that they shouldn't take it personally. That can makes things a little awkward but at least that way they aren't going to misinterpret me.

·
God. Also bored
10,229 Posts
Probably, it doesn't matter they're stupid and their opinions don't are worthless anyway.

·
lagrimas negras
1,763 Posts
Yea, i think i send out that "stay away from me" vibe IRL so some people think i'm stuck up or angry but the truth is i'm just shy/nervous.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
When i'm in an environment where I do not know anyone I can come as arrogant depending on the setting ( a lot of girls I like = extremely arrogant)

Is truly a defensive mechanism though. I remember I wasn't always like that but, I blame it on bad experiences.

Either way luckily for me, I am a bit arrogant in general so is not so bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts