Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goes out to male's, I guess 18 and over. Do people always call you buddy? I'm 23 and I always get the "buddy" thing, and man does it piss me off. I even got a "thanks buddy" at a f*ckin head shop recently. Why am I everyone's buddy???? Don't know why, just make's me mad.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
its like what males say when we are trying to be friendly.
its like saying dude.

what would you want them to call you?

if if they don't know your name, would you rather be called by your name.

you can always say
"sorry my name isn't buddy, but my name is ____ "

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer for people not to call me buddy but that doesn't mean it bothers me when people call me that. It's along the same lines as when people call me Jess vs. Jesse.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Yes, and it bugs me sometimes. You can add "guy," "boss," "pal," "chief," and the worst offender, "son" (unless you're my mother or father, WTF?) to the list of things I prefer not to be called.

It doesn't bother me as much if the person calls everyone "buddy," but if I get singled out for the "buddy" treatment, it feels a little patronizing. Its a subtle way of making someone feel inferior. Alpha personalities do it to feel like they're exerting their dominance over you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think it's just a friendly term too. It seems similar to something like, "Thanks, man." If they don't know your name, you could say, "No problem, my name's (name)."

·
Banned
115 Posts
People always call me buddy and I call people buddy. Its just a friendly thing to do. Its not meant to piss anyone off in any way.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it was just my negative thinking like "they only call me buddy cause I look pretty young and clueless". That might also just be a negative untrue thought, the young and clueless bit that is.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i hate people who say dude. The only place that word should be used is in California. I greet other males by saying "hey man". Dude is where i draw the line.

·
SweetAsCandyx
6 Posts
Well yeah. I get the 'wee man' thing. It's just a joke i think, i'm not a man anyway! so let's hope it is. It would be 'big man' if people looked up to me though, guess it is a culture thing, people just refer to you as either 'big man' or 'wee man' and i'm wee man. Lol.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah, I get called buddy a lot by guys who don't know my name. It's actually the most common thing I get. It doesn't really bother me...I'm kind of perplexed by it, though. I'm more of a "Thanks man" sort of guy.

People always call me "big guy".
Heh, I hate that one!

i hate people who say dude. The only place that word should be used is in California.
Amen.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't really like it. It seems kind of condescending. When somebody calls me "dude" or "bud" or whatever, to me it implies that they're talking down to me and treating me like a kid. And it's mostly older people who do this. I don't call anybody "buddy" or "dude" regardless of their age. Or maybe I'm just some stuck up jerk that needs to chill.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts