Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been hiding my social anxiety diagnosis from everyone except my family for a few years now and recently I've been considering just telling people about it to see what happens. I am, however, worried about how they will react to the point where I may never even end up doing it. I'm just worried people won't understand.

Anyways, if any of you guys have told friends/acquaintances before, how did it go? Did they understand what you were trying to explain to them?

·
Cynical Idealist
1,339 Posts
Of the few people I've explained it to, the most common response was, to paraphrase, "get over it."

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think it would depend who you tell it to. My best friend sort of knows and she understands because she deals with a lot of similar stuff. But I am sure some people would think it's a 'cop out' sickness, that we just make it up as an excuse.

I say tell people, just be careful who.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Ive always been shy and emotional from the time I was younger, so I guess people kind of get used to noticing it, and just see thats me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Generally, all family, extended family and friends know. Plus a few teachers along the way. I've found it very beneficial to share it with others. Not everyone responds with understanding and support, but the vast majority of them have.

And yeah, I'm sure my anxiety is very obvious, as I get asked on a fairly regular basis "What's wrong?" It's gotten easier and easier for me to just be honest when I'm prompted like that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Told someone once. They said it sounds like I'm autistic and just need a hug. They also refused to ever see me, so I'm not sure where that hug was supposed to come from. Needless to say, that friend is now a former friend.

I'm pretty sure some of the people I'm close to know about it, but they haven't said anything and I'm not going to bring it up. I've also mentioned it on my tumblr, so the irl friends I've made through that would know, but we've never spoken about it. I'm not sure if they 'understand' SA, but at least they understand not to make a big deal about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My parents know. It probably sounds terrible but I have only told friends when an incident has occurred which needs to be "justified" by the fact I have SA.

I'm extremely wary of telling people because very few seem to understand what it is and just tell you to get over it.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
None of my family knows, they just assume I enjoy my solitude.

One person in my life knows. This current guy that I've been trying to talk to in art class. I bet he doesn't even give two thoughts about me, he just likes the random kisses in the halls.

If people were more aware of the disorder they would know I have it.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Everybody I know, knows my situation. I think it's better that way. nothing to explain, no wondering why I'm not very talkative, and no comments like, you're quiet etc. Of course this is just people who already know me personally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My family and a couple of my close friends know. My family has been very supportive. My friends... well, one of them tried to convince me there was nothing wrong with me, and the other went on a rant about how psychologists are a scam. I was rather hurt by my friends' reactions, and have avoided the subject ever since.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.