Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was about 9 or 10, I knew something was wrong because I wasn't happy with myself.. I started getting depressed and just hating life and everyone in my family because they just don't understand me. I had a cat and I loved her so much (even more than my family).. But when she died it really hurt because It felt like I lost a sibling (yea Im weird).. As I got to high school things got worse when I started getting panic attacks and I wanted to drop out of school because i just couldnt handle it.. I just really wanted to die....... SA is a b***h!!!:bah

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I used to write suicide notes and letters about how much I hated myself back in 1-3rd grade, somewhere around there, does that count? Man, I was really silly back then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very interesting post. I for one have had severe depression and it may be linked to my former severe social anxiety which is now improving, and my bouts of depression have decreased.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who had it and wasn't depressed.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I have an ongoing depression. I would diagnose it as a Dysthemia.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I drink pretty regularly unfortunately which does affect the depression. I know that when I take a break after 2 weeks I start to feel a lot brighter.
Drinking doesn't help but it's just like a coaping method when I'm lonely at home on my own.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I think my case was more depression that turned into anxiety of all kinds.
It happened around the time I was 12-13. Not only did my parents split but I was going through the whole ordeal of puberty as well.

Some things I remember were that I couldn't speak for myself (I became spineless)
-I felt that I wasn't important enough for people to care about what I had to say
-I had no real friends
-All my peers seemed to have gone on with their lives, and grown up except me.
-Nothing made me happy, not school awards or good grades or anything.
-and, I didn't step into the school cafeteria for a whole year because I was afraid of what people would say about me.

boy, was highschool ever a drag!

·
Banned
205 Posts
who wouldn't be depressed with such severe limitations in forming meaningful human relationships and participating in society? I've evaluated my life with SA, I know how much restriction it contains confronted by others, to what paralysis it forces me everyday, and there's really no way around depression with these circumstances present.
Uh, speak for yourself. Not everyone has the same level of anxiety. Also, some people are more predisposed to depression than others. I think some of the people that are claiming certain mental health issues here haven't been officially diagnosed by any doctors. There's an overwhelming amount of negativity and self pity in these threads and I believe this attributes to the fact that everyone here automatically thinks that SA means depression. It most certainly does not for me. I feel bad about it from time to time, but who doesn't feel bad about certain things sometimes. I've grown to accept that I am not extroverted and denying that would be denying myself. Now I am taking steps to lessen my anxieties and eventually I will alleviate my problem to where it doesn't affect me as much.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my case was more depression that turned into anxiety of all kinds.
It happened around the time I was 12-13. Not only did my parents split but I was going through the whole ordeal of puberty as well.

Some things I remember were that I couldn't speak for myself (I became spineless)
-I felt that I wasn't important enough for people to care about what I had to say
-I had no real friends
-All my peers seemed to have gone on with their lives, and grown up except me.
-Nothing made me happy, not school awards or good grades or anything.
-and, I didn't step into the school cafeteria for a whole year because I was afraid of what people would say about me.

boy, was highschool ever a drag!
Oh I can definitely relate to everything you listed above because I felt the same way and I had no real true friends and haven't done much with my life or moved on yet.. I'm trying and that is important because we all need to move on and I believe we will!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had situational depression due to loss and stuff, but I've never been clinically depressed I don't think. I've always had hope, not hope of ridding myself of SA, just hope that things will be okay in spite of it, and I think that makes a difference for me.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Anxiety launches depression, which in turn feeds anxiety. Vicious cycle. :(

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am pretty sure my depression hit first, I used to not care that much( way back when I was 5-8), and I started hating myself/feeling rejected before I got that fear of being around people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts