Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never wanted to take medication for my SA or depression. I've always wanted to work through my problems on my own.

I did however talk to my doctor about being depressed once, and he prescribed me some random anti-depressant. I took the bottle as prescribed and once it was in my system I got very paranoid and felt weird so I quit it as soon as it was done.

There's something about medicating that just feels unnatural to me and the thought of taking pills actually scares me.

Does it really make a difference? Would it make me a more outgoing, sociable person?

Just curious, I know nothing of these matters...
Thanks

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
I thought I could work this stuff out on my own as well, but really I just continued to get worse all the time. Dropped out of my 1st year of university twice. It's too early for me to say whether or not I've been helped at all in any long-term sense though.

But really... if you've identified your problem, and it's genuine and pervasive, I see no reason not to get help. Trying medication is a no-brainer for me when I consider my alternative. I just wish I hadn't taken so many years to get started.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've never wanted to take medication for my SA or depression. I've always wanted to work through my problems on my own.

I did however talk to my doctor about being depressed once, and he prescribed me some random anti-depressant. I took the bottle as prescribed and once it was in my system I got very paranoid and felt weird so I quit it as soon as it was done.

There's something about medicating that just feels unnatural to me and the thought of taking pills actually scares me.

Does it really make a difference? Would it make me a more outgoing, sociable person?

Just curious, I know nothing of these matters...
Thanks
It really all depends. I've had medications that have done nothing, some that have worked miracles, and other only work a bit. At first I was against the "unnatural" way, which is why I never took benzos cause I thought they were too crazy. Getting over this was great, and I feel like you shouldn't have this outlook, because if the medication works, it works. Run with it.

Don't let people tell you that "doctors have no idea how these ADs work", also when we know to some degree. I've had SSRIs that don't work, but ones that have, and it's just about finding the right combination for your receptors. Research the stuff and you'll begin to learn more about what medication might help. For me it was the 5-HT2C receptor that caused my social anxiety, anxiety, and depression, and I knew this because Prozac gave me such a good reaction. So when Prozac stopped working, I looked to other 5-HT2C antagonists, and Remeron is great.

It's all about finding what works for you, and getting the right "cocktail".

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, you are so prejudiced there is no way any medication could help you. So you either need to become more educated about the messy world of medical science, or go off in a completely different direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts