Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids (like.. K-5) don't really give me any problems with SA. The exception is if I'm the attention of a whole group (10+) of kids. I volunteer at an afterschool program, but I don't think I could ever teach a class. One time, a meeting with all of the kids (~50) was called to congratulate me on an award I won, and there were also a couple photographers and administrators there, and I was absolutely uncomfortable and embarrassed when I had to accept it. It was already hot, but I was pouring sweat.. I was awkward and just a couple of the kids booing was enough to set off my blushing.. And those were kids I knew pretty well and had known for almost a year.

Other than that, if kids try to bully me (and they sometimes will), I have no problems just dishing out some comeback. They don't respect my administrative authority, they respect my social dominance. I know they're just kids and half my age, but it boosts my self-confidence to feel like a celebrity every time one of them discovers I'm in the building ;).

I still have some trouble socializing with the other adults there.. I barely talk to the ones my own age. When I do wind up talking to them, I manage to perform pretty well (and by that, I mean entertaining), but I'm lucky enough to have kids interrupting regularly and giving me an excuse to break conversation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kids give me worse sa then adults do. I think its because with adults you can have a conversation with them, kids you have to be more spontaneous and funny to get along with them. Both of which, are things I'm not very comfortable being.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I babysit so when I'm alone with them I'm ok but when they are with their parents and they start talking to me, they are making all focus be on me and it makes me uncomfortable.. i've had little kids hit me in front of people and I have to act like i'm ok with it when i'm really embarassed...

·
Registered
35 Posts
No it's nothing about kids paying attention or talking to me.
It's when the kids scream/cry.
And it seems like I'm awful because I enter sort of a panic-attack phase when even a month-old baby in a carrier starts crying. I can feel my head get really cloudy & I get nauseous. It's just not good, though, because one day, I'd like to have a kid or two. But if I panic when a baby cries, I really won't be too productive as a parent.
My mother tells me that it'll be different when it's my own and whoever I'm married to would be more patient & it'll rub off on me.
Hopefully.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I cant do anything but a nervous smile at children, I dont know how to 'talk' to them.

All of them are children of Lucifer!!!

:evil:evil :afr :evil:evil
:haha I just read your other reply on a thread where you said the same thing. So funny.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I love kids. They usually don't give me sa at all. I'm probably much more free around them than adults.
Now, teens, that's a different story. If they're over 14, they tend to annoy me, and when I'm really annoyed, my sa can act up.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm terrified of kids. I'm an uncle for the first time since after Christmas and i have no clue how i should talk to my baby niece. My dad can pull funny faces and make her laugh but i can't do that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm terrified of kids. I'm an uncle for the first time since after Christmas and i have no clue how i should talk to my baby niece. My dad can pull funny faces and make her laugh but i can't do that.
Me too and i have no idea how to talk to my nephew and niece. It's even worse when they are at my moms house and she calls me and wants to put them on the phone. I never know what to say and try to get them off the phone asap. :um

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'm pretty good with children. I don't see them as real, thinking people (lol) so any assumptions they make of me I laugh off and think are adorable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not very authoritative, okay not at all authoritative, so kids tend to walk right over me, and I hate to be in the position of disciplinarian for that reason. I was working as a substitute teacher's aide at a middle school hoping to get on permanently, but realized there's no way I could keep a group of kids under control -- they smell fear like dogs. I enjoy kids a lot as long as there's another adult around to keep 'em in line. I'm not afraid of my own kids, but I'm a little uncomfortable when they have friends over. If the friend does something I don't like, I tell my kid that I don't want them doing that, and expect them to control their friends because I get really uncomfortable being put in that position with kids that aren't mine. I'm always having to remind the kids on our street that I'm actually an adult because they treat me like I'm one of them. Like I said, they're kind of like dogs, they pick up on these things. :O)

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I don't like teenagers. I avoid them like the plague. I always avoided the two that live across the street from me, even they are in college now. I lived here 10 years coming this fall and I never said a word to either one of them. I have talked with their dad a little if I was out in my yard and he had no one to run his mouth too. But I never talk to him unless he talks to me first. I don't really care to live in town, but I have to be close to my job esp in the winter.

·
Registered
591 Posts
kids do not trigger my SA... i'm not sure why... i have fun hangin around them. I actually worked at the YMCA during the first stages of recovering from SA :) They dont tend to knowingly judge like adults

·
Registered
202 Posts
If anything, I like little kids the most, under like 5-ish or so, I think they're cute and fun, sometimes(maybe the only type of human that I don't hate). lol But when it gets older, like middle-high school, then that's where it's the worst. Even more if one of them people know me. I've only came into contact with them people like... twice in the past 4 years, both in the same day. Brother had a seizure and then 4 preppy girls came in the hospital waiting room. Then after we left we went to Taco Bell for food and there were like over a DOZEN kids my age in there with their friends! While I was there with my step dad and mother, it was so horrible!!..!!.!!!....!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts