Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really feel as anxious around people as I used to. Like during my presentation on Thursday. I still felt a little anxious beforehand but during it I didn't really worry or care what people were thinking. But I still have problems. Like for example, I have no idea how to make friends. I don't know what I'm going to do when my final is over on Tuesday and the start of the fall semester. The likelihood of me hanging out with anyone seems small. How do you get people to hang out with you? There are several people around that I could hang out with but they are always busy. I don't think I would know how to keep up a good conversation with someone I have just met either.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I don't really feel as anxious around people as I used to. Like during my presentation on Thursday. I still felt a little anxious beforehand but during it I didn't really worry or care what people were thinking. But I still have problems. Like for example, I have no idea how to make friends. I don't know what I'm going to do when my final is over on Tuesday and the start of the fall semester. The likelihood of me hanging out with anyone seems small. How do you get people to hang out with you? There are several people around that I could hang out with but they are always busy. I don't think I would know how to keep up a good conversation with someone I have just met either.
You sound like you're pretty much in the same situation as me.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I don't know, I think everybody is at a certain level with their SA. On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being the very worst and 10 being completely SA free, where would you say you were at? I think everybody has a little bit of social anxiety in them, even those who have the largest social network in the world. It's just natural to care what other people think. We just let it corrupt our lives more than it should. I'd say on the scale, I'm probably at a 6 or 7, somedays even an 8 or 9, just depends on the day.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Congratulations on doing your presentation! Well done. I too have no problem doing them, but alas I have difficulty making friends as well. SA can be situation-specific.

the people that you know - are you sure they're *always* busy? Could you be over-generalizing? I mean, did you ask them specifically and they told you directly, "I can't, I'm busy"? I only ask because these people that you know seem to me to be the best place to start - you can meet other people through the people that you already know. If you haven't really given it a good go, I'd start there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts