Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not really fond of psychologists and therapists. (long story)
but I recently saw a psychologist and he told me I needed to man up and face my fears. I dont really like pushing myself so hard. I like to get comfortable and go slow. But im not really sure. I feel terrible. I have like no social contact whatsoever. Im sad, depressed, lonely and confused. And i just cant make the call, i want to get out there and do stuff but why do I have to man up? idk guys im just feeling bad today. I feel like a failure

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with trying to improve slowly. I don't fully know your situation, but pushing yourself could also benefit you. Sometimes you can reach a plateau and it can be hard to make much progress without pushing yourself. Do you feel like you've reached a plateau or do you feel like you're still making progess? I wouldn't recommend doing much more than what you think you can handle, though. You don't want to become traumatized from situations that are too stressful. "Man up" sounds like a pushy way for your psychologist to put it. I wasn't there, but from what you've said it doesn't sound like he is being very sensitive about your problem. I think it's important that if you push yourself, that you do it because you want to.

Did your psychologist make any specific suggestions? If he didn't, what would be a challenge that you would consider to be along the lines of what he is talking about? Maybe you could break that goal/challenge into smaller steps or set easier related goals with the intention of using them to prepare yourself for the larger one.

I hope I was helpful in some way. Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I've also been feeling depressed and lonely, lately. :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
omg thanks for the response. Yea, i think I have reached a plateu point. I feel stuck, I need more knowlegde, i need more of something but I dont know what it is. I just think manning up would maybe help, but in the long run idk. I will figure it out eventually. Yea, I like what you said.
My main problem I think right now is calling my friends. Right as i do it, I get a real rapid pulse and, OMG my mind just jets out of control. I start thinking out what Im going to say, then I think is it the right time, is this realistic, etc.
I mean when I go out I have an awesome time, I just cant seem to call or anything. Plus Im just nervous about it in general.
Idk if I like the pyschologist, but we'll see. But yea, he seems kind of pushy.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
If you try and defeat your fears all at once, you are actually setting yourself up for failure. You do have to go at it one at a time. As you progress, your tolerance will increase - meaning your "risks" will get bigger and you will be willing to do more.

The triumphs accelerate and grow in magnitude - check my signature.....:)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't know the story but even tough I guess that would technically help, I certainly would not pay a professional if that's the only advice he had to offer. I mean, anyone off the street could tell you that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts