Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 22 years old, and live with my parents. My parents are sad sometimes when I complain about having no friends, and then don't want to hang out like go to movies with my parents..they think I don't like them cause I'd rather go to a movie by myself than with my parents, cause sometimes I need to get out of the house..its hard cause my parents want to keep track of me all the time..like when I get back home I have to sit down with them, and tell them everywhere I went and everything I did, to make sure I didn't go to the bar or anything they disapprove of...I guess its cause I live in their house, I should need to tell them every detail of my life...do you understand me?? am I right to feel some difficulty as having to give a complete account of my night, everytime I come home?? they say they are just curious and making conversation.
....but I wish there was more distance between us...is this bad?? they always get upset when I pull away and feel sad like i "don't like them"..but I just want to feel more independent but they don't let me..

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
It might just be old habits that they have. I don't think you should have to tell them every detail of your life though. It's good that they are involved, but you also need a boundary so it doesn't become overbearing and you can still feel independent even though you're living with them.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
I think your parents want to be close with you since you don't have any friends. I'm sure they don't want you to feel alone. Going to college or having a job is a good way to meet others and become more independent. I'm not sure if you have a job but are you financially able to live by yourself?
I can definitely relate with your situation since I to live with my parents and also have no friends.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My parents are the same way. They are very controlling and really overbearing. They ask me too many questions about what I've done and where I've been. I don't think think my parents care if I have friends or not. They prefer if I don't have any really. Your parents probably are just concerned and want to know what's going on in your life to help you out in a way. They sound like they are just opening the lines of communication.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
I lived with my parents until I was 26. After high school, I went to college at a local school, so I decided to save money by living with my parents. For the first few months or so, they still treated me like a high school student that needed structure and discipline, but once they realized that I was an adult and could take care of myself, they began treating me as an adult. I had a great amount of freedom and independence while being able to maintain that parental connection.

I do miss the free rent and the cooking and laundry services :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts