Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have one question, if someone doesn't mind answering it, I would appreciate it.

Do I have to be officially diagnosed to get meds for social anxiety?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Legally, yes. You can buy herbal supplements without a prescription, but medicine will require a doctor's prescription.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Here's how it will most likely go if you see your family doctor:

-Doc: So, how are you doing?
-You: Well, I came in because I feel really nervous in social situations and I think I have social anxiety disorder.
-Doc: I see.
Then the doc will ask you a few quick questions, hand you a script for some SSRI, quite possibly give you some free drug samples as well, and send you on your way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Legally, yes. You can buy herbal supplements without a prescription, but medicine will require a doctor's prescription.
Using the word "officially".. I have been to different docs many times for different things and got all different kinds of medications and not one of them ever diagnosed me.

You guys talk about what's going on, what the issue is, etc. But a good doctor usually won't officially diagnose a new patient that he hasn't gotten time to get to know. Especially when many issues for lots of people are short term life circumstance related, and there is just no way for them to find out everything about you in a 30 minute session. They will obviously take notes and write down their assumptions etc. This has been my experience with many docs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts