Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've never considered classifying myself as socially anxious but after reading other posts on here I believe I may have some sort of anxiety and just wanted to get a few opinions.

Here are a few examples of my traits: Tend to avoid social situations involving large groups or new people and tend to stick to smaller groups of people that I know well I.e friends since junior school. This is mainly because i am too concerned about what people think of me and therefore don't act as the person i truly am which is frustrating. Where as with my close friends i feel more relaxed and able to be myself.

Another thing which i regrettably do is often avoid making conversation by pretending not to see somebody, this is because i feel any interaction will be awkward and end in me not knowing what to say.

All in all, i feel as if this anxiety is limiting myself and not allowing me to reach my full potential

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,
I can see the situation you are in but it's good that you have a nice group of people you already know.If you want to meet new people simply go up to them and say hello my names _____ what is yours or it's nice to finally meet you ______.And you think people will think badly about you this is completely normal in my opinion when meeting new people.And don't not know what to say when when you see that crush or popular kid just walk up smoothly and say sup I'm ____ and don't let anxiety limit that go out there and be who god made you!Best if luck
Jacx

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
"Social anxiety is a discomfort or a fear when a person is in social interactions that involve a concern about being judged or evaluated by others. It is typically characterized by an intense fear of what others are thinking about them (specifically fear of embarrassment, criticism, or rejection), which results in the individual feeling insecure, not good enough for other people, and/or the assumption that peers will automatically reject them."

"Selective mutism (SM) is an anxiety disorder in which a person who is normally capable of speech does not speak in specific situations or to specific people. Selective mutism usually co-exists with shyness or social anxiety."

You decide

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice:) You're right, i am lucky that i have a few close friends. I just feel whilst they are all out doing there own thing meeting new people my lack of confidence and anxiety is preventing me doing the same. I am also beginning to avoid doing the things i enjoy most for example sport, because of this!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Wanderer8! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts