Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess some history of my life is needed for this.
In Middle School, I was pretty nerdy and had 3 or 4 really good friends that i really connected with and always had a great time with. Then, once I started high school i was moved into a new school system. I wasn't the best at meeting new people, and became very alone and isolated. In a school of 3000, i knew maybe 5 people. I eventually made a few friends, but i don't connect with them much at all. Now that I'm a junior I'm fed up with them and don't really enjoy spending time with them much at all.

When i first started high school, i turned to video games as a way to cope and they kept my busy on Fridays when i had no one to hang out with. However, recently I haven't been enjoying video games as much. I suppose its because I've matured a bit lately, but it has left a big hole in my life.

I don't have a problem talking to strangers, i have a fast food job where i have to all day long. I can also easily talk to girls around my age, but I can't talk to girls that i like at all. Theres a girl in my math class that i have a crush on, and the other day while i stood at the teacher's desks, she playfully bumped her hip against mine. I completely froze. I got the same feeling as when i was in a car accident earlier this year of "Is this really happening?" and didn't even say a word. Now i can barely look at her.

It also wreaks havoc on my eating habits. I barely feel hungry at all lately, and when I do eat I start to feel like i'm gonna throw up. I don't want to develop any eating disorders, but it seems as if i cant stop this anxiety.

I rationalize situations in my head, and realize there is no reason to be nervous or scared and everything will be fine, yet i still suffer these anxiety attacks.

I have never told anyone about this, i've never been in a serious relationship with a girl, and never seen a therapist. To everyone else im just some nerdy shy kid that sleeps a lot.

Thanks for reading...

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey Musicislife :wels

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome, I'm newly joined too.

I don't think we know exactly how serious your shyness/anxiety is to diagnose you. Some ppl may say that it is not abnormal to freeze up during situations you described. I think you will have to determine for yourself whether your shyness/anxiety is detrimentally affecting your life or not. As for losing interest in games, I think it can be expected as you grow older to find that what once brought you fun may no longer do so when you notice you need something more socially/emotionally fulfilling. Whether it is just shyness or SA, if you are worried about having regrets, take healthy proactive steps now before they become realities. But some advice, if I were you, don't let that girl you like go without letting her know you like her too.

·
Banned
205 Posts
It's pretty clear that you aren't anti social. Anti social people don't have to be shy at all to be considered anti social. The disorders are completely different. Anti social people take advantage of others for their own gain without any feelings of remorse. They have a hard time identifying with people who have been emotionally hurt and with people they have personally hurt. It generally follows those lines. Unless you are anything like this, you most likely do not have anti social personality disorder. Of course you must be diagnosed by a mental health professional to be certain of any disorder you may or may not have. It sounds like you certainly do suffer from some shyness, but I can't say whether or not it's social anxiety disorder or something else or perhaps a number of different things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's pretty clear that you aren't anti social. Anti social people don't have to be shy at all to be considered anti social. The disorders are completely different. Anti social people take advantage of others for their own gain without any feelings of remorse. They have a hard time identifying with people who have been emotionally hurt and with people they have personally hurt. It generally follows those lines. Unless you are anything like this, you most likely do not have anti social personality disorder. Of course you must be diagnosed by a mental health professional to be certain of any disorder you may or may not have. It sounds like you certainly do suffer from some shyness, but I can't say whether or not it's social anxiety disorder or something else or perhaps a number of different things.
Well, I just enjoy spending time by myself much more than time with friends or other people. Thanks for the input!

Also, the girl i mentioned has a boyfriend, so it wouldn't really work out...

·
Registered
199 Posts
It sounds lime you have moderate SA. This is good news because under the right direction and a true mindset of motivation I think you can make huge strides to the point of a total cure of the social abnormalities you are concerned about. If you can find the time I would recommend you work closely with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist for 5-10 weeks or just buy a the Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook and the Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns. This will help train your mind to think in a way that will get you through your delusional thinking.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, MusicIsLife! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.