Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main problem i have is racing thoughts and not being able to control my thoughts and i just cnt make my mind stop and shut the hell up... sometimes it wont let me concentrate or focus on a conversation or on what im doing so i do things wrong or i say something i regret... sometimes i cnt read a paragraph and remember what i read cause my mind is trippy.. the thoughts are usually anxious, negative thoughts... i think ive had OCD as a lil kid so maybe SA mixed with SA causes this?? or maybe i have ADD or bipolar idk??

its a really big problem for me.. sometimes i have to avoid human contact cause my mind isnt relaxed enough to focus on the convo and i usually get anxious about that.. like an example.. if someone makes a joke about me ill be relaxed enough to concentrate that ill realize its just a joke and ill laugh it off or say something back but when my stupid mind is on when i hear something like that ill stay quiet and ill just think and usually a physical symptom comes in... man im just so frustrated and stuck right now... i try to meditate but its so hard for me to focus cause ill get thoughts coming in..this is what usually happens.. ill try to meditate and focus on meditating but then my mind wonders of thinking "how will my therapist react if i tell her about my racing thoughts?" "what if someone walked in here and saw me meditating they i will look wierd" "man its so hard for me to focus what if i have a second disorder?" its just so hard to quiet my mind and not think of nothing..

im on meds im on lexapro 10mg and seroquel xr 50mg.. they have helped me think clearly and realize that how my mind works isnt normal.. im thinking of taking that one med adderall.. it seems to quiet alot of peoples minds... i just want my mind to relax... and then when im finally relaxed and i go somewere and something happens that makes me anxious ill start thinking alot again and dwelling and my mind wont stop again its a never ending cycle and moodswings... this is a really big problem for me.. i need to tell my therapist and psychiatrist as soon as possitble before i go crazy i just cnt take it anymore... am alone feeling like this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Uh.. you are on seroquel and lexapro?? Those are biploar meds so I am guessing that is why your doctor gave them to you... I have never heard of seroquel being used for just SA, so wouldn't that mean you have bipolar? Seroquel is a mood stabilizer, those that are just depressed wouldn't need it.

I was diagnosed as bipolar and prescribed seroquel but one doctor, but I am waiting until I get into a new psychiatrist I am waiting on before I start it (I have body issues, I would rather suffer med free than get fat. I know, I am a freak).

·
Registered
227 Posts
if you are having mood swings with racing thoughts that is a sign that it could be bipolar disorder

but sometimes situations can cause mood swings.

people with anxiety can have racing thoughts. when i was depressed my anxiety increased which caused racing negative thoughts. im not bipolar.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been/am a lot like you...esspecially during my teens. I didn't seem to have any control over my mind/thinking at all. I would tell therapist about your racing thoughts and what not - it's better, in the long run, to get it out there so you can get some advice.

Meditation didn't work for me...yoga seemed to help a bit and I've found cardio workout to be invaluable for calming my mind. i've only started getting better with this in the last year or so

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I have this all the time, and it often keeps me awake at night unless I have a DVD on to distract me. It doesn't take much to make my mood do a 180 either, but I don't think I'm really bipolar though, but maybe cyclothymic. I think it might be responsible for some of my SA as well. Sometimes I can do things that I'd never normally be able to do with SA, like get a haircut and chat to random people (not in the street, but in shops anyway), while other times I can't even be bothered to leave the house. I'm not sure if it's just that my SA is better in certain situations or if I have another disorder like cyclothymia influencing it, but it would make sense.

I haven't bothered mentioning this to anyone I've seen cause all they'd do is just prescribe me something that I don't want to take like an antipsychotic. The funny thing is, I've read they don't prescribe antidepressants for cyclothymia because it can trigger manic behaviour, and when I was on Sertraline I was very manic, and sometimes almost psychotic..

Sorry to drag your thread off topic, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have trouble with racing thoughts as well - usually my main problem with trying to socialize is that my constant stream of thoughts is so distracting and tiring that it makes the interaction almost as uncomfortable as the anxious feelings I get. I also have trouble concentrating enough to read a paragraph, and I can't stop my mind at night to sleep unless I'm about to pass out. If I'm speaking to someone, it's very difficult for me to be able to retain much of what they say and I've had to work hard at developing that skill. I had OCD as a child as well (I still have some symptoms, but they're much milder) so I'm not sure if that's related, but I always assumed the racing thoughts were just a part of social anxiety or more generalized anxiety.

I've always gone through life with this core of dread, and I have no idea what I'm really afraid of. It makes me always feel like I'm not doing enough, in control enough, prepared enough, etc. I think that's related to my racing thoughts - I feel like if I slowed down, I would meet up with something awful or something terrible would happen. I'm rambling and unfortunately don't have any advice, but I thought I'd share that I feel the same way.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
unwanted racing thoughts are often from OCD which is sometimes reduced by an antidepressant med

you can have several pleasant daydreams and occupy yourself with these

·
Registered
407 Posts
Your symptoms might suggest Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Everlong.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've had the exact same problem and even now i have to force myself not to think needlessly. Try breathing excercises, that helped a bit for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel your pain. Many health officials and even phycologists call this being "scatterbrained". On a positive note, this is a side effect to being highly intelligent. Albert Einstein, and Sigmund Frued were scatterbrained in addition to being ADHD, OCD and on and on. Consider for a moment that if Einstein were alive today at a young age he would be shoved into a special ed class and put on sedatives for having a learning disablilty, when in all actuality he very well could be smarter than even his teachers. Congrats my friends. We are smarter than the average bear after all.
I mentioned on another thread that reading motivational or inspirational books is a good way to maybe not slow down these thought but rather take control of them. Writing or better yet typing your thoughts can help you understand yourself more. If it's truely unbearable the are good general anxiety drugs that your doc can prescribe. Working out and hopefully finding a trusted friend to talk things out with is important too.
Most importantly remember most people think like the old school commadore computers(very rarely and slowly if at all). We tend to on the other hand think like High speed internet. I way do a thread on this thought philosophy later. As overwhelming as it is. We are smarter and more insightful than most. Congrats SAers. ;-)

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Sounds like symptoms of ocd to me. Its a constant battle. Antidepressants are resistant to it. Talking to people helps a little but at the same time its difficult to talk with all these racing/intrusive thoughts. Anxiety fuels it. Stop obsessing and the thoughts die easier said than done of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts