Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whole family is against me! Anxiety is big on my biological mom's family, and my real mom was apparently really shy, too. Depression and Bipolar disorder runs on my dad's side. Lucky for me, I seem to have inherited EVERYTHING. :?

How do genetics affect you guys?

·
struggling writer
85 Posts
Mental illness runs in my family on my dads side, he's Bi-polar, his dad is bipolar, and apperently my great grandmother on his side was insane. My mom has severe shyness. I guess it all blended together to make me. It's weird, my brother doesn't have any of this ****.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both my parents are introverted. When my dads not at work he locks himself in the computer room and looks and cowboy hats and boots online til he falls asleep. Love em but don't wanna end up like him y'know?

·
struggling writer
85 Posts
see it's funny, because my dad and my brother are both extroverts. Both really friendly and will go up to and talk to a complete stranger just to have a conversation. My mom and I are introverts, she's not as bad as me, but then again she's trained herself not to be so shy.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mental illness runs in my family on my dads side, he's Bi-polar, his dad is bipolar, and apperently my great grandmother on his side was insane. My mom has severe shyness. I guess it all blended together to make me. It's weird, my brother doesn't have any of this ****.
Neither of my brothers got any of this either. Well, my oldest brother almost certainly is bipolar, but both are very social. We also all have different colored hair, :stu

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mental illness runs on my mom's side of the family. She has anxiety/depression and other crap. She also suffers from SA.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
If I had to assign it a number, I'd say a genetic predisposition is responsible for about 50% of my social issues.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yes, runs on my mother's side.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again, i believe genetics play a big roll in ones SA. my family don't even know about SA. but now that i know what SA is, i can easily tell that many from my mothers side of the family suffer from SA.

My whole family is against me!
from what i've noticed people will try to get their frustrations on the weak. the one's who will not fight back to defend themselves. if one was born with SA then the whole family will use that person as a scape goat (don't know if it's the right word) to relieve their everyday frustration making life harder on the SA sufferer. how to avoid that? who knows. maybe is ones fate. the only thing that one who enlightens themselves about such things can do is to stop the cycle. that is, to not do it to their kids.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My parents confuse me when they talk about this. They both constantly try to assure me they were the same way I am, excessively shy and all that. But my whole life I've heard stories about how my dad was "the man" in high school, dating all the hottest girls (a cheerleader named Muffy lmao) and getting into trouble with his friends back in the 70's (would have been so amazing to be around back then!!) I don't believe for a second he was shy. He was popular. My mom on the other hand experienced a bit of teasing and was really shy because of it, but even then when she was my age she was out with boyfriends and what friends she did have, partying and experiencing a normal teenhood. I'm pretty sure in telling me they were shy and friendless as well, they think they'll make me feel better. But it makes me feel worse because I know the truth. They were normal teenagers. I don't doubt they had a bit of shyness in them, but it was NORMAL. I can't explain it.

·
Banned
227 Posts
I'm under the impression that it does. My mother had the shy gene when she was young, and my father currently suffers from paranoia. Great parents nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My parents confuse me when they talk about this. They both constantly try to assure me they were the same way I am, excessively shy and all that. But my whole life I've heard stories about how my dad was "the man" in high school, dating all the hottest girls (a cheerleader named Muffy lmao) and getting into trouble with his friends back in the 70's (would have been so amazing to be around back then!!) I don't believe for a second he was shy. He was popular. My mom on the other hand experienced a bit of teasing and was really shy because of it, but even then when she was my age she was out with boyfriends and what friends she did have, partying and experiencing a normal teenhood. I'm pretty sure in telling me they were shy and friendless as well, they think they'll make me feel better. But it makes me feel worse because I know the truth. They were normal teenagers. I don't doubt they had a bit of shyness in them, but it was NORMAL. I can't explain it.
I've had exactly the same experience.

I think my dad was actually fairly shy in HS, but he still had girlfriends, played on the school football team, etc. He was just a typical introvert.

My mom has always claimed she had similar problems to me as well, but with her, I think it's one big lie. Judging by a few stories I've heard, I shudder to think of what all she was into before meeting my dad - she probably mirrored the type I absolutely despise among my female peers nowadays.

Anyway, regardless of their pasts, both my parents must be introverts at their core. For as long as I can remember, neither of them have had truly close friends, and growing up they generally spent 99% of their free time either alone or just with each other. Their lack of frequent socializing always seemed "normal" to me growing up, and is probably a significant factor in why I'm somewhat reclusive now. Only over the past few years, after moving out for college, have I realized that my entire family is significantly less socially-active than average. As for how much of my problem is genetic vs. how much is the result of my upbringing, that's anyone's guess.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Anyway, regardless of their pasts, both my parents must be introverts at their core. For as long as I can remember, neither of them have had truly close friends, and growing up they generally spent 99% of their free time either alone or just with each other. Their lack of frequent socializing always seemed "normal" to me growing up, and is probably a significant factor in why I'm somewhat reclusive now.
That just about sums up my parents. They've never had any close friends and apart from when my aunt and uncle come to see them a couple of times a year, no one ever comes around. Apart from doing everyday things, they've never gone out much either. I don't know how much of that is due to genetics though. I can clearly see how life experiences have filtered down through the generations and how they influenced my parents and ultimately my own upbringing. Having said that, one of my earliest memories is of hiding from a photographer behind my dad's legs at my sister's christening. I doubt that inherited behaviour would have had much effect on a 3 year old, so it was either genetic or it was just my natural shyness coming to the fore.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
My whole family is against me! Anxiety is big on my biological mom's family, and my real mom was apparently really shy, too. Depression and Bipolar disorder runs on my dad's side. Lucky for me, I seem to have inherited EVERYTHING. :?

How do genetics affect you guys?
Same with my Dad's side. My Dad has been diagnosed with GAD so he knows what I'm going through but at the same he doesn't understand why I get anxious around people.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
My whole familiy is loony-toons. Depression, anxiety and paranoid schizophrenia (although thank goodness I don't have that last one) run in both sides of the family. My childhood was a living hell, growing up with mentally ill parents. They only recently started taking medication, and the change in both of them is astounding. If only they had taken that stuff 40 years ago, maybe I wouldn't be as screwed up as I am now :/

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I do believe genetics play a part in my anxiety. My grandmother is so much like me..severe sa and gad. She barely leaves her house.
My sister and I have had severe anxiety for as long as we can remember. She also has schizophrenia (I hope I never develop this illness:no) My great uncle also had schizophrenia.
Depression runs on my father's side. My parents don't seem to have any mental problems though. My father is a little shy around people he doesn't know well, but I don't believe he has sa. My mother is more of an introvert than an extrovert, but she doesn't have difficulty socializing.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from what i've noticed people will try to get their frustrations on the weak. the one's who will not fight back to defend themselves. if one was born with SA then the whole family will use that person as a scape goat (don't know if it's the right word) to relieve their everyday frustration making life harder on the SA sufferer. how to avoid that? who knows. maybe is ones fate. the only thing that one who enlightens themselves about such things can do is to stop the cycle. that is, to not do it to their kids.
Lol, I was kind of joking when I said that... My family is definately not against me as a person, I just meant that the genetic factors were all working against me. I guess I could have worded that better :p

I didn't realize how many people had SA and other disorders running in their family, I'm surprised. I always kind of figured that life experiences had more to do with shaping SA, but apparently genetics play a bigger part in this than I thought. :O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts