Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relative who's a BIG dreamer. He's always off in outer space somewhere.- One day he's going to write a book-then he talks about taking dancing lessons-a month later he's going to start his own company.This weekend he wrote a song he believes will make him famous-I heard it,believe me it's not exactly a winner!! He gets aggravated that I'm not supportive and excited with his endeavors. I'm not going to lie if I think somethings ridiculous. Am I just a mean grump?? I'm not good at pretending and I would'nt like myself much if I did.- Also he's big on get rich quick schemes. Tell me I'm not alone in suffering with this moron.----

·
Registered
544 Posts
Haha he sounds exactly like me! And I do annoy the hell out of my parents telling them what I'm going to do. But I never do anything! I just can't help it :/ One of my brothers and one of my sisters are sort of keen on get rich schemes expecting a lot less work than money usually requires. But another sister actually has followed through on projects but she's still not a nice person. Heh.

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
This weekend he wrote a song he believes will make him famous-I heard it,believe me it's not exactly a winner!!
:lol

I can imagine.

He sounds entertaining to me (though definitely understandably annoying). Just 'cause I know it's ridiculous. You never know though, maybe one of his big dreams will work out. Sometimes I feel like I need to be around people like this to keep an open mind. My problem is usually not quite reaching my goals/failing to take any action whatsoever, so I'd be communicating with my opposite.

Nevermind, lol. The more I think about this, the more disastrous it sounds.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Why is any of this bad? I hope he makes it one day. Good for him. It's better than sitting around all day thinking up excuses for why you can't do something. :clap

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because schemers and scammers will take every penny you've got! And,let's face the truth-only a tiny percentage of people ever become famous or highly successful in certain fields-such as dancing,singing,writing etc. It's not at all unusual to believe when very young that you will-be a supermodel,be in a famous rock band,be a talented bodybuilder,Olympic skater,famous actor etc.,etc. Most people come to terms with how highly unlikely that truely is. As they become more mature they become more realistic. They find pride and enjoyment in areas they can succeed in - things that are real. I'm not suggesting a person should'nt dream but you also have to be somewhat practical.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Because schemers and scammers will take every penny you've got! And,let's face the truth-only a tiny percentage of people ever become famous or highly successful in certain fields-such as dancing,singing,writing etc. It's not at all unusual to believe when very young that you will-be a supermodel,be in a famous rock band,be a talented bodybuilder,Olympic skater,famous actor etc.,etc. Most people come to terms with how highly unlikely that truely is. As they become more mature they become more realistic. They find pride and enjoyment in areas they can succeed in - things that are real. I'm not suggesting a person should'nt dream but you also have to be somewhat practical.
You're right. Why even bother with life at all? I mean, if only a few people can be successful at what they want in life. *facepalm*

I just think that's a horrible attitude to have.

Have a nice day,

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most people are not famous or wealthy.- They still manage to find meaning and enjoyment in their lives. Most of us won't hit the big time,it's very rare-thank goodness happiness and self respect are not dependant on that. If all or most of your hope hinges on being the "star" chances are you're not going to be very happy.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Writing a novel, learning to dance, starting your own business. Those things don't sound like unrealistic goals to me. The get rich quick stuff, writing a hit song, and becoming famous are pretty out there I agree.

He sounds like a crazy bipolar relative I have who's always jumping from thing to thing and never follows through with any of it or ends up getting in over their head. I think that's a symptom of the disorder. Perhaps, you should encourage him to focus on just one area of interest and stick with it. Most of the things he wants to do take years of labor and dedication and its unlikely he'll be successful at any of them if he's coming up with a new scheme every other day.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I also don't see much of a problem with it, I agree that he might need to be more practical, but I also think this can be a very positive thing. This "can do" attitude when it seems very unlikely and the unrelenting hope, that is how many success or underdog stories become realized.

I don't think it would annoy me that much, maybe he needs to take it down a notch and focus on more practical goals. ooo /I'm redundant

·
Banned
501 Posts
I have a relative who's a BIG dreamer. He's always off in outer space somewhere.- One day he's going to write a book-then he talks about taking dancing lessons-a month later he's going to start his own company.This weekend he wrote a song he believes will make him famous-I heard it,believe me it's not exactly a winner!! He gets aggravated that I'm not supportive and excited with his endeavors. I'm not going to lie if I think somethings ridiculous. Am I just a mean grump?? I'm not good at pretending and I would'nt like myself much if I did.- Also he's big on get rich quick schemes. Tell me I'm not alone in suffering with this moron.----
:lol Unfortunately, when I was in my teens I was kind of like your relative there. I thought I was going to be a World Chess Champion one day, a popular singer/songwriter, a great (though not so popular) poet, a brilliant composer, and other far-fetched dreams that I can't think of at the moment.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Most people are not famous or wealthy.- They still manage to find meaning and enjoyment in their lives. Most of us won't hit the big time,it's very rare-thank goodness happiness and self respect are not dependant on that. If all or most of your hope hinges on being the "star" chances are you're not going to be very happy.
And this is how he finds meaning and enjoyment in his life. And maybe the dreaming and the hope is what makes him happy. So what?

Maybe the right question is: Why do you care so much? It's none of your business, after all. :stu

Have a nice day,

·
Protector of the Den
15,258 Posts
I'm a dreamer. I annoy myself sometimes, though. I wish I would dedicate myself more to achieving my dreams. Like your relative, I tend to have a lot of dreams and ideas.

Some of my dreams might not come true, but I'll keep pursuing them. My dreams are all that I have. I'm not exactly happy in other areas of my life. What would be my point in living if I didn't have something to look forward to/work towards?

It's not at all unusual to believe when very young that you will-be a supermodel,be in a famous rock band,be a talented bodybuilder,Olympic skater,famous actor etc.,etc. Most people come to terms with how highly unlikely that truely is. As they become more mature they become more realistic.
Most people who achieved those dreams did it with hard work. It is not all luck. People are not born Olympic skaters. If they had told themselves that their dreams were unrealistic, most of them would not be where they are today.

They did not know it was impossible, so they did it! - Mark Twain
It does seem to me that your relative doesn't stick with anything, though. I'm usually guilty of that myself. He also seems to be looking for a way to achieve his goals without hard work. Like you said, not everyone can be famous. If fame and riches are the only reasons for his goals, he'll probably be disappointed. He would be better off choosing something because he likes it, not because of the possible reward. That way, even if he doesn't become rich and famous, he'll be happy doing something he loves.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I must confess that I too dream.

Sometimes I feel I may become a talented rock star, painter, cartoonist, portrait artist or scientist.

Its nice to entertain those thoughts. What's wrong with a little dreaming.
After spending a third of our life in school, don't we deserve at least a quarter of our adult life to live out a dream ?

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could go into specifics about this,but I'm wary of doing that on the internet. You ask why I care? Because this person is a huge emotional drain and somewhat of a financial one as well. Many American homes that house or housed a teenage boy have in the garage,basement,back bedroom ,a weight bench and weights-mostly dusty and in the way.- This comes from the idea/hope of being a famous bodybuilder-they also invest in various protein powders, vitamins,how to magazines and books. Or,perhaps they attempt to form a band in the hope of hitting it big! Obviously,girls can also go this route or go into other unlikely interests.- I have no problem with this! It's almost an American rite of passage! However to deal with someone who should be well past this stage is frustrating! They are constantly manipulated because of this star struck mentality.- They are very vulnerable-as they send out another $100.00 for a kit showing them how to become an internet millionaire. - Or,maybe it's $300.00 to cut another CD.-Or spend years chasing after a con artist,whom they believe to be a misunderstood genius. There's nothing wrong with dreaming but it also must be balanced with reality.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
My mom is kind of like that. I don't find it annoying, I find it amusing whwn her dreams are really far out there; however, sometimes, she actually accomplishes what she sets out to do and I am proud of her :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i would be annoyed if the dreamer were my son in his 30s or maybe a spouse or for that matter anyone who was supposed to contribute financially. Otherwise, i would just humor the person, i'm sure down the line they will have a rude enough awakening. I have to admit i'm a day dreamer but working and paying the bills takes precedence lol.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I wish I could go into specifics about this,but I'm wary of doing that on the internet. You ask why I care? Because this person is a huge emotional drain and somewhat of a financial one as well. Many American homes that house or housed a teenage boy have in the garage,basement,back bedroom ,a weight bench and weights-mostly dusty and in the way.- This comes from the idea/hope of being a famous bodybuilder-they also invest in various protein powders, vitamins,how to magazines and books. Or,perhaps they attempt to form a band in the hope of hitting it big! Obviously,girls can also go this route or go into other unlikely interests.- I have no problem with this! It's almost an American rite of passage! However to deal with someone who should be well past this stage is frustrating! They are constantly manipulated because of this star struck mentality.- They are very vulnerable-as they send out another $100.00 for a kit showing them how to become an internet millionaire. - Or,maybe it's $300.00 to cut another CD.-Or spend years chasing after a con artist,whom they believe to be a misunderstood genius. There's nothing wrong with dreaming but it also must be balanced with reality.
Well, if you really feel that way, I hope you're trying to guide him to a more realistic perspective. There's no reason why he can't continue to dream while being less of a financial burden. I don't know if he has a job, but if he doesn't, then just encourage him to get one that's in line with what he wants to accomplish in his life.

But don't kill the dreaming. The dreaming isn't the problem.

Have a nice day,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.