Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the days when I still went to school my teachers always said "You're so clever, why are you just that lazy?". I wasn't lazy - it was the SA. Too bad. I could have a proper job or sit in the uni right now, instead of being such a loser.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
No, they never said I was lazy. I just wasn't a talker, and they always tried to pull that crap where they would purposely call on me because I was the only one who would never raise my hand. This pissed me off, and just made me even more determined not to talk. I would just say "I don't know" knowing that they wasted their time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was put in special education classes in high school and almost didn't receive my diploma. Needless to say, I had a very, very hard time in school interacting with the teachers and other students. Luckily, I had pretty good standardized test scores, and was accepted at a state university, from which I transferred to a large reputable university where I'm now an honor student!

If you know you're not lazy, you shouldn't give up on your education. I was in the bottom 5% of my graduating class, but am now a very, very good college student. Part of it is going to a large school where not everyone knows you, you don't get called on in class very often, and you can just sort of remain anonymous in your classes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nope. Was always near the top of the class. Only one ever mentioned by shyness, and asked if it would be an issue. She was an ESL teacher teaching a civics class, so maybe she was more sensitive to it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think my teachers sometimes think I'm lazy because the amount of physical evidence for any work that I do is generally less than that of other students, despite me often spending hours more worrying/thinking/working on whatever it is. It's a very frustrating situation. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
My parents did. They made me see a therapist back in the day cause they had no idea why I never did homework. The annoying thing was they only complained after my bad grades came in.
Also I had it to where I did my homework as soon as I got home from school but that got ruined after I took this hard chemistry class.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
I've had people think I'm lazy, drunk or on drugs...when in fact I'm just scared out of my wits!

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
No, I'd say the opposite. They knew I was a good student.. just very quiet.

Show up for class, make eye contact with the teacher as they're doing their lectures (to show you're paying attention), complete homework assigned, etc... those types of things go a long way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, my teachers said I was lazy. They also said that I was quite and needed to speak up more. My parents say I don't apply myself. But it's true. I am lazy and don't apply myself. I am wasted potential. I remember back in high school, I had taken an accelerated english class. I had gotten like a 98% on the test. Come to find out it was the best score in the class. My teacher asked me if I finally decided to study and a couple of kids in the class asked me how did I score so high. I told them that I finally decided to put my brain to use. I ended up failing the class though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
always! my dad never reprimanded me though. it's good he understands my situation - lacking the capability of focusing on my studies. my issues always distract me

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
I suspect I have various cases of peitit mal seizures back then. Because when they commented how I drifted off and not focusing, I seemed to be puzzled by why they say that and I don't even notice that at all.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
School was so easy compared with tertiary education - at school,I could get away with doing hardly any work or anything and still get good marks without breaking a sweat. At uni/college,you get screwed over if you don't do any outside work. I'm not up for it,I'm not motivated enough. My first year out of school,I did quite a bit of work outside class. But back then,I believed there was a point to it. Now I just feel like I'm wasting time,I don't believe in myself - don't believe that it will lead to anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was in elementary school, I never responded to the teacher because I was "shy". My parents thought I was hard of hearing, so I got tubes in my ears (must have not responded well to the ear doctor either). A few years later they thought I just couldn't see the board, so I got glasses - bifocals at that!. Today I have perfect hearing and 20/20 eyesight. Nobody ever thought I might have had SA or ADD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts