Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into this Benzo and Brain Damage thing I wonder if my Tinnitus and brain fog might be caused buy the Benzos?
http://www.benzo.org.uk/problem.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_term_effects_of_benzodiazepines
Approximately half of patients attending mental health services for conditions including anxiety disorders such as panic disorder or social phobia may be the result of alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence. Sometimes anxiety disorders pre-existed alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence but the alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence often act to keep the anxiety disorders going and often progressively making them worse. Many people who are addicted to alcohol or prescribed benzodiazepines when it is explained to them they have a choice between ongoing ill mental health or quitting and recovering from their symptoms decide on quitting alcohol and or their benzodiazepines. It was noted that every individual has an individual sensitivity level to alcohol or sedative hypnotic drugs and what one person can tolerate without ill health another will suffer very ill health and that even moderate drinking can cause rebound anxiety syndromes and sleep disorders. A person who is suffering the toxic effects of alcohol or benzodiazepines will not benefit from other therapies or medications as they do not address the root cause of the symptoms. Recovery from benzodiazepine dependence tends to take a lot longer than recovery from alcohol but people can regain their previous good health.[24] A review of the literature regarding benzodiazepine hypnotic drugs concluded that these drugs caused an unjustifiable risk to the individual and to public health. The risks include dependence, accidents and other adverse effects. Gradual discontinuation of hypnotics leads to improved health without worsening of sleep.[25]

·
Banned
217 Posts
How long have you been taking it, do you take it every day, and what dosage?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you been taking it, do you take it every day, and what dosage?
I have been taking Alprazolam for about 7 months approximately 1 mg almost every day sometimes I take a bit more other times I take only 0.5mg at night it helps me get to sleep...

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
A person who is suffering the toxic effects of alcohol or benzodiazepines...
Larger amounts of Alcohol/Acetaldehyde (taken over longer periods of time) are very toxic to the human body/brain, but benzodiazepines have very low toxicity, that's a fact. And I wouldn't call protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal "brain damage". If there is no significant damage shown in CT/MRI then where is this "brain damage"?!?

Really abusing very large amounts of shortacting benzos (eg. flunitrazepam) for years like a junkie is a different story, but I doubt taking eg. 4-6mg Klonopin as prescribed for months-years and then very slowly tappering off will cause damage to the CNS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larger amounts of Alcohol/Acetaldehyde are very toxic to the human body/brain, but benzodiazepines have very low toxicity, that's a fact. And I wouldn't call protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal "brain damage". If there is no significant damage shown in CT/MRI then where is this "brain damage"?!?

Really abusing very large amounts of shortacting benzos for years like a junkie is a different story, but I really doubt taking eg. 4-6mg Klonopin as prescribed for months-years and then very slowly tappering off will cause damage to the CNS.
Professor Ashton tried to acquire funding to perform scans using more detailed scanning technologies such as PET scans and MRI scans but was turned down for research funding. At present the question of whether benzodiazepines cause structural or functional brain damage remains unanswered definitively.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Yes, and because of that it's wrong to say benzos cause brain damage, without being able to proof it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, and because of that it's wrong to say benzos cause brain damage, without being able to proof it.
Why do so many people get such severe withdrawal syndromes after taking prescribed dosage
there must be something going on with there Gaba receptors,

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Of course they get severe withdrawal symptoms if they took benzos for a longer period of time and quit cold turkey or taper down too fast. The GABA-A receptors downregulate and other stuff happens because of homeostasis. Some people get protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal (which might be helped via flumazenil infusions), but this is no indication of brain damage. SSRI users also get so called "discontinuation syndromes", some which last for months or longer, but does that mean Prozac destroyed their brains irreversibly? I don't think so.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Prof. C. Heather Ashton should be burned at the stake like the witch she is. That old bag had cause untold misery and should pay for her sins. She's effectively all but banned benzos in the UK and one can only hope she croaks before she can remove benzos entirely from the face of the earth.

She needs no proof as she'd turned her anti-benzo movement into a religion. All they need is faith.

I'm so sick and tired of holier-than-thou busy bodies who "know what's best" for us.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Prof. C. Heather Ashton should be burned at the stake like the witch she is. That old bag had cause untold misery and should pay for her sins. She's effectively all but banned benzos in the UK and one can only hope she croaks before she can remove benzos entirely from the face of the earth.

She needs no proof as she'd turned her anti-benzo movement into a religion. All they need is faith.

I'm so sick and tired of holier-than-thou busy bodies who "know what's best" for us.
I think it's good they're "all but banned" for treating SA long-term. Benzos really should only be considered after failed trials of an SSRI, SNRI, mirtazapine (+ other newer antidepressants), MAOI, beta-blocker, and more. Their dose-escalating, amnestic, cognitive-dulling effects are simply not acceptable in my opinion when there are so many other effective drugs out there.

Even when a purely anxiolytic effect is required, I think kava beats benzos by a million miles -- it's not addictive, forms no tolerance, doesn't impair cognition at therapeutic doses, and actually brightens mood rather than depressing it. If people would actually read the available research, they'd see hepatotoxicity is likely to be a result of non-root preparations, as evidenced by kava being drunk the traditional way for centuries without event. Unfortunately our world is populated with morons and greedy pharmaceutical corporations.

The main problem with kava is its difficulty of use and low potency. The capsules often contain absolutely tiny amounts of kavalactones (people sometimes take 10+ capsules for effects), and the root is usually so weak you have to use 1/4-1/2 a bag for decent effects.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Prof. Ashton hates Benzodiazepines more than Osama bin Laden. That's unhealthy - IMHO after all these years of exhausting anti-benzo-propaganda she should settle back, drink a good glass of red wine and take some Xanax.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Prof. Ashton hates Benzodiazepines more than Osama bin Laden. That's unhealthy - IMHO after all these years of exhausting anti-benzo-propaganda she should settle back, drink a good glass of red wine and take some Xanax.
Thanks for bringing up the issue of wine. The anti-benzo folks remind me quite a bit of the Prohibitionists who reined supreme in America from 1920-1933 and failed miserably -- just as they failed miserably in Canada and numerous other European nations that tried it.

Both were zealots who loved to tell everyone else how to live their lives. When somebody sticks their nose in your business you should chop it off -- reminds them where not to stick it again.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I think it's good they're "all but banned" for treating SA long-term.
In my view it doesn't matter what you think on this matter. Adults should be free to make their own choices even if you think their choices are stupid mistakes. To take away their freedom of choice and substitute your own suggests that you are somehow more qualified to choose for them.

I don't believe there is anyone more qualified to choose what you put in your body than you and I would never dare to attempt to substitute my own judgment for your own. Unfortunately, it appears you're not willing to allow me the same degree of personal autonomy. I don't need nor want a nanny.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The main problem with kava is its difficulty of use and low potency. The capsules often contain absolutely tiny amounts of kavalactones (people sometimes take 10+ capsules for effects), and the root is usually so weak you have to use 1/4-1/2 a bag for decent effects.
Do you have any suggestion on how one get around this problem? Or is there no way around it?

How many doses a day would be required for one with SEVERE anxiety? You're already talking about 10+ capsules for effects? So are we talking about downing a whole economy-sized bottle per day?:stu

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
In my view it doesn't matter what you think on this matter. Adults should be free to make their own choices even if you think their choices are stupid mistakes. To take away their freedom of choice and substitute your own suggests that you are somehow more qualified to choose for them.
Let me clarify: I believe it's good they are highly discouraged to be prescribed for anxiety disorders by qualified medical professionals. I don't think it should be illegal to source them yourself, but that's a different story. It's not about prohibition, it's about psych docs doing the right thing for us.

Why? Because there are many better options for SA and only a terrible psychiatrist would pick benzos over them unless there was no other choice. Case in point: Nardil is proven as effective as Xanax.

I don't believe there is anyone more qualified to choose what you put in your body than you and I would never dare to attempt to substitute my own judgment for your own. Unfortunately, it appears you're not willing to allow me the same degree of personal autonomy. I don't need nor want a nanny.
Psychiatrists that have gone to university and got a degree in medicine; they are more qualified than you, and it is their job to help you overcome your problems without compromising other areas of physical/mental health, social functioning, etc. They would be doing patients a disservice if benzos were a first, or even second-line treatment.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If antidepressants fail several times, longterm Klonopin treatment can be considered for the therapy of generalized social anxiety disorder IMHO. In the past I have been prescribed a constant dose of Klonopin for many months and found no "dose-escalating, amnestic or cognitive-dulling" effects. My anxiety was reduced by 80%, I made my exams and felt quite normal; then instead of tappering off I used Phenobarbital.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I took 8mg for 9 months without any need for more, but you probably started with a lower dose.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If it works, then it works. That's all I care about anymore.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Well, half a bottle of vodka works too against SA, but I wouldn't recommend it longterm. ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts