Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have taken my clonazepam, I feel slightly dull-witted, and more careless. I'm worried that this will affect my performance in college. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It's really kind of a paradox for me. I simply have to take them to be able to go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I only take them when I have to give a speech, and I do feel like I can't understand anything the teacher is saying when I'm on them. It's in one ear, out the other. I think I would ask my dr to try giving me something else if you have to take it every day...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Depends really, if your anxiety is that bad in a situation without them then you probly won't be able to concentrate anyway due to the racing thoughts of anxiety, in that case they may improve cognition.

At the same time, yes some will experience the side effect of congnitive dulling, other's won't, sometimes you may even find it improves with tolerance.

I guess it's just a case of trial and error, and dose tiration until you find what works best for you.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I take diazepam, when I was at my worst with them I was taking lots and they impaired my cognitive fuctioning, such as reading, or answering a question.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found a decent remedy: drink an espresso with it. It seems to still calm me down, but elevates my intellectual capacity.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I found a decent remedy: drink an espresso with it. It seems to still calm me down, but elevates my intellectual capacity.
That sounds like an ideal combination, but I suspect the latter cancels a lot of the effect of the benzodiazepine out. You say it 'seems' to still calm you down, are you hinting that you don't feel as calm as normal?

I used to love drinking coffee before studying, but it makes my dopamine system go haywire when there is nothing else to concentrate on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts