Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to change jobs, ideally to one with no phone calls that is work from home, but that doesn't seem to be a realistic option for me. Every time I do an online search I see these jobs listed, but if I try to find them they seem to just be scams, not pay a living wage, or still require answering the phone:
Transcriber
Closed captioner
Data Entry Clerk
Web Search Evaluator
Bookkeeper
Proofreader
Website tester
Internet Researcher

Do any work from home jobs exist that don't require any phone calls and pay a living wage? I might be able to deal with phone calls better if it wasn't clients or sales reps which are always potentially pissed off, but I don't know what job that would be. If I just had to do my work and answer emails all day I would like my job, or at least wouldn't be super stressed constantly. I hate worrying that someone might randomly call me or set up a meeting at any point, gives me anxiety all day long.

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
I would think looking them up on any job search website would be a start. And I think it largely depends on where you live geographically and what your living situation is. And I would also think any job that do not need much analytical skills wouldn't pay much.

Off the top of my head, maybe an accountant job might suit your desires, since it actually pays pretty well and it is usually a job you mostly work to yourself just crunching numbers, applying rules along with great organizational skills. On the socializing side, you're likely limited to only interacting with the same small group of people or person and inquiries are not often going to be urgent and mostly on the followup side if there are question about your numbers. It's always joked that accountants are usually the people in the workplace no one has much interest in talking to.

·
Song and action man
874 Posts
Years back I applied for a data entry position.

I got a phone call back and was asked my I'd want a lower paying job. To which I think I said change of work environment or something like that.

Needless to say they didn't call back after that. But like you my main driving factor was a job with less responsibility and less people interaction. Idk, maybe if I was honest that'd of heard me out?

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,172 Posts
A lot of these have now been offshored probably. It's very difficult to find a quality job that pays a living wage at the low end of the pay and skill set spectrum. Unfortunately most of those type of jobs are gone now.

Reactions: Blue Dino

·
(.*?)
6,940 Posts
"Living wage" is a rather nebulous thing that everybody defines differently. I've been making far less than a full time minimum wage job for the last 10+ years (in order to avoid phone calls, commutes, defined hours and other stresses), and I'm pretty sure I'm living.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,842 Posts
Hi. I've been doing medical coding strictly from home since 2017 or so. No phone calls, just on the computer and only interact with my supervisor. Not sure if the pay is good since I've had a mortgage since 2010 that hasn't gone up but I think it's a livable wage. There's a lot of jobs too, so many that recruiters look for you on job postings and contact you. The downside is that most of these jobs are not year round, 6-9 months, but there are jobs that are permanent/year round if you keep looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm making $16/hr as a data entry clerk so yes it's possible. I found my job on Indeed and it was through a staffing company. I usually don't love going through them but don't be scared of them, I got hired to the company after three months as promised. I don't answer phones and barely talk to anyone all day. I'm looking into some work from home positions right now and I'm actually finding some good ones. There are some decent data entry jobs out there. I hope you can find something 😁

·
Registered
651 Posts
Years back I applied for a data entry position.

I got a phone call back and was asked my I'd want a lower paying job. To which I think I said change of work environment or something like that.

Needless to say they didn't call back after that. But like you my main driving factor was a job with less responsibility and less people interaction. Idk, maybe if I was honest that'd of heard me out?
That's where I'll struggle I think being questioned why someone is applying for a low paid part time job at 35. 🙄

1 - 9 of 9 Posts