Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See title. In your experience, has this been true?

Do all shy people experience SA to an extent? (ie. social discomfort) Or are they just shy?

·
I Want To Believe!
102 Posts
shy.... extreme shyness

I was shy as a kid and later in life i started having symptoms of SA. Now, from my research if you do not grow out of shyness it can lead to extreme shyness (SA). So, if we have children or know children that are shy we should assist them in overcoming their shyness or it could possibly result in SA or extreme shyness!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think when you are feeling shy you are experiencing some social anxiety, however that does not necessarily mean you have social anxiety disorder. SAD is far worst than just being shy. Just knowing that you may have to speak at a future time can cause panic attacks. Its a very serious disorder and goes far beyond shyness.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I think when you are feeling shy you are experiencing some social anxiety, however that does not necessarily mean you have social anxiety disorder. SAD is far worst than just being shy. Just knowing that you may have to speak at a future time can cause panic attacks. Its a very serious disorder and goes far beyond shyness.
I agree with this. I think shyness is more of a limited and situational form of anxiety. Whereas SAD is a chronic all-encompassing disorder. I know a lot of happy outgoing people who refer to themselves as shy. Go figure.

·
Banned
139 Posts
See title. In your
experience, has this been true?
I'm not a mental health professional, but I think these two disorders for the most part are different disorders.

My SA encompasses some of the following:

1. Extreme nervousness while eating in front of others.

2. Extreme nervousness while reading in front of others.

3. Extreme nervousness while writing in front of others.

I don't think every shy person is very stressed, and obviously so to other folks, while eating, reading, or writing in the company of others.

·
Banned
424 Posts
I don't think every shy person is very stressed, and obviously so to other folks, while eating, reading, or writing in the company of others.
I don't like eating in front of others. I have no trouble reading or writing.

A disorder is something that prevents you from leading a normal life. You can live with shyness. You can't live (normally) with SAD. Technically SAD is shyness, but to a ridiculous extent.

As far as I understand it.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I don't know. Some people are shy but still functional. IMO, something isn't really that much of a disorder unless it prevents you from living like everyone else does. I'm not "just shy". I'm so shy it hurts.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I don't like eating in front of others. I have no trouble reading or writing.

A disorder is something that prevents you from leading a normal life. You can live with shyness. You can't live (normally) with SAD. Technically SAD is shyness, but to a ridiculous extent.

As far as I understand it.
Good post! I agree.

·
Registered
728 Posts
SA is more of a phobia than just shyness, but you said extreme shyness so i don't really understand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think they are those that are extremely shy that have it (I being one of them) but I doubt every single person that is really shy will have SA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny enough, I am not shy at all. I overcompensate for my hatred for myself and my fear of people by being boisterous and loud. Making jokes, being the "class clown" keeps me from being the target of their hate. (I feel) It keeps me in a constant state of worry though, because if I slip up even once, they could/will turn on me.

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny enough, I am not shy at all. I overcompensate for my hatred for myself and my fear of people by being boisterous and loud. Making jokes, being the "class clown" keeps me from being the target of their hate. (I feel) It keeps me in a constant state of worry though, because if I slip up even once, they could/will turn on me.
I aint shy at all either. I'm in high school and most people would label me as loud and obnoxious...even my doc had trouble believing I had SA (to the extent taht I would need meds)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts