Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Disturbing dreams / Nightmares

7K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  kkraieski 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Definitely sounds like some sort of withdrawal. Some people have pretty severe withdrawal even from anti-depressants.

If you can keep reminding yourself that, then the dreams would probably be easier to handle. Also, it really sounds to me like something temporary, but I know how hard it is even for one night because I get bad klonopin withdrawal.

If you end up able to prove to yourself that it's not withdrawal, then maybe you would be happier back on some kind of medication.

#7 ·
ahh Night terrors

I hope that you find peace soon. Not too sure if I can relate to your Vivid dream experiences because of with drawl. Ever since I was young though I had nightmares and dreams that terrified me and fascinated me. I actually own a couple books on dreams.

This could be the effect of the medication or it could be the effects of your "unconscious" trying to understand things that are happening in your waking life. That is if you believe in that sort of thing, some do not...if this is the case skip my suggestion. Too bad I couldn't hand you my "Keep it simple stupid" book on dreams. I'll try my best here:teeth

Write your dreams down as soon as you wake up. The most vivid ones that you will experience are the ones in the last stage of your REM cycle. (Correct me if I'm wrong:um) Also, I don't think it would hurt to keep a journal of your day to day experiences. You may start to see a common theme between the two. You are the best one to be making these interpretations of what they mean. Some of these nightmares you may need to face head on. For example, there is a wolf / green monster chasing you blah blah. Confront it! Stand your ground and do not be afraid. Sometimes these creatures are "monsters" that we are dealing in our waking life and are continually running from. These too will go away. I know that when I was experiencing high levels of stress in my life I would have episodes or if I wasn't careful with keeping a regular sleeping pattern.

When you have anxiety and stress in your life it is inevitable that nightmares and sleep paralysis will be following you close behind. I have my own special stories about Sleep paralysis. Ha ha if anyone has any requests I can retell them:afr

As soon as I started taking clonozepam the paralysis went away. It's no surprise "Clonazepam is highly effective in the treatment of sleep paralysis".

So go to bed normally and...if you do have a sleep paralysis episode again read up on lucid dreaming. I've barely practiced it but you can do some very cool things once you realize you're really just dreaming. I highly recommend watching "Waking Life".

#10 · (Edited)
Diya:

Your post caught my eye immediately. Just last night I had the WORST, extremely vivid, nightmare that I've had in my life. It also involved "Sleep Paralysis". I was laying on my back watching a movie last night and was really exhausted. Two hours later, I woke up drenched in sweat, heart racing, and crying. In the nightmare, someone had broken into my apartment and were doing horrible things to my beautiful kitties. I remember in the nightmare, laying there, couldn't move, was aware that it was a nightmare and couldn't wake up, and I would hear loud noises coming from the movie and think that it was this "intruder". I've had sleep paralysis before, but NEVER as bad as this was. I was wondering if it might be the Lamictal I just started so I googled it and sure enough it mentioned "vivid" dreams, "sweats" and nightmares. But the thing is I'm only up to 37mgs of Lamictal so who knows. I used to have "lucid" dreams several years ago and they were DREAMS, not NIGHTMARES.

Anyway, I totally know where you're coming from and I hope you get some relief. Sounds like you have it a lot worse than me, 8+ a night..sheesh. And I too feel like some "demon" or something has possessed me. For me I AM depressed and I'm convinced that last night's experience and the other recent ones are at least partly caused by the fact that I've been going through a lot of emotional stress and feel like I have little control over my life. Best wishes,

kat

#16 ·
kraieski

I have just been prescribed xanax .25mg the first time I took it I slept like a baby . The second time I had nightmare after nightmare. I was aware of were I was but could not move felt like my tongue was stuck n my throat and couldn't speak (sleep paralysis) my wife woke me up repeatedly only to have me fall out again less then a minute later. She said each time she woke me I'd say am I awake only to have me fall out again. Bit happened 5 or 6 times in an hour. It was a horrible experience I'd never felt before. Is that normal for taking xanax for only the secound time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.