Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has the problem mentioned in my topic title. For some reason I can't talk to my mother about anything. It just feels uncomfortable. I try not to let her know anything personal about me. And I try not to know anything personal about her. It was the same with my father. Even posting this makes me feel uncomfortable, as if I were talking to her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i dont talk to my mother or father about anything personal; and i never will. i don't trust them. my mom likes to gossip and make negative comments; and my dad just stays quiet. i dont live at home and i'm visiting them less and less. i think i just dislike being around them. anytime i am doing almost anything they have to make a comment. and this is either a comment which is negative or one that is embarassing.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
Similar for me over here. My parents/sister/bro-in-law know nothing about me, in particular, the things going on in my head. I do my best to put up as tough front for them so they can't see how messed up I am. I don't talk about anything personal to either one, but I don't mind them telling me personal stuff about them.(I actually kindof like it..it gives me a feeling of belonging) But I can't say anything personal in front of them.
For example:
Went over at my parents house tonight and on my way I saw an attractive girl driving a MazdaSpeed Protege(I won't go into why this girl is a perfect match for me) coming out of their street. I wanted to ask if they knew who she is, but before I even pulled into the driveway, the anxiety level had spiked and I ended up not even mentioning it to them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I cant talk to my parents about personal stuff. My sisters open up to my mum and tell her everything but I'm just not comfortable with it, I wish I was more open with them, more for my mothers sake, so she doesn't worry. Like hypnotoad I try to put up an act to try and convince them I'm a perfectly happy and adjusted but I'm not sure if they buy it.

Writing about this makes me realize how messed up I am.

·
Lost
342 Posts
I have a crap relationship with my father and all my brothers and sisters. They don't know anything about me really. The few friends I have know much more about me. I don't talk to my family that much at all really. Except for one of my sisters. I actually live with my father, but we don't talk at all! we go days without saying a word to each other...he's just always been a distant father for me and it's part of the reason why I have social anxiety. So my situation is much worse than yours i think ha.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
My father was always distant in life and said next to nothing. Now his distance is literally 75 miles: his cremated remains reside in my brother's basement in a cardboard box.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can tell my parents some things but i choose to only give them a much more positive version of my life. If something is troubling me I certainly never confide in them.
My mother HAS gossiped about me to some of her friends and i always find out about it so i defintely cant trust her to keep anything private.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can relate to feeling uncomfortable. I have a stressed relationship with my mother. We don't fight or argue, we just sit there staring at eachother. You know those independent film movies where no one at the table is talking to eachother and people think that doesn't really happen? Well it does. As an adult I have tried to initiate conversations and rarely get responses. She knows about my anxiety and the meds I've been on but has never said much about it. I think she has problems herself cause she's told me a couple times "Life sucks and then you Die". I recently told her I might go back on meds again. All she said was "Oh Boy." My alcoholic Dad is passed away, but when he was alive and I was a teenager, he found my meds and thought they were recreational drugs. (I wouldn't doubt he took some, thinking they were) I remember yelling at him that they were meds I had to take because of HIM. :|

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm similar to most of the posts on this thread. I don't talk to my parents about personal stuff anymore and nor do I want to. My mom is embarrassing and negative, while I have never really been to close with my dad. My friends know more about me then my parents and brother.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I can't talk my mother or father about anything really. I barely tell them I love them. I've never told my father I love him. The word just sounds weird to me. I don't know much about them and they don't really know that much about me. It's not because they don't try because they do. I'm just so distant. They call me to make sure I'm alive but sometimes I don't answer the phone for weeks at a time. I wish I could change my relationship with them but I'm an abnormal freak of nature and will probably be that way the rest of my life. I hope they understand that I do care about them but I just don't know how to be a normal person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts